CHAPTER TWENTY

___

The face that greeted me the moment I opened my eyes was the very person who went missing, just as what Jamie said to me.

"Eldest?"

The little girl before me is none other than my playmate and my tutor. I wonder what happened that made her look so gloomy all of a sudden. She was just fine yesterday.

"What?" she replied, an annoyed tone of voice is obvious.

I mentally frowned. Why does everyone seem to be in a bad mood today? Did they went to war or something?

"Where were you—well, nevermind." I sat up and grabbed the book in my tableside. "How are you?"

"Doing fine." She shortly replied, which is odd since she's the talkative type. The moment she noticed my confused face, she had this uninterested look in her face. "Don't mind me. Just staying here for a while. We'll continue your lessons tomorrow."

I was about to protest, but my mouth didn't budge to say anything. So in the end, I just let her be. While I'm sitting in my bed, she's sitting in the couch. Were both busy reading books, mine about nobles while hers is all about mages and magic.

"Uh, can I ask a question?" I took all the courage I could muster to speak. The silence inside my room is too suffocating. Her dull eyes glanced at me, and I felt tensed all of the sudden.

I gulped.

She flipped into the next page, giving me a bored look with a frown

She flipped into the next page, giving me a bored look with a frown. "You're already asking, but fine."

I took a deep breath, not minding her sarcastic reply. "About the guardians we received from our birthday before, how are they properly used?"

Since I've never remembered anything about it in my glimpses as well, I needed to know every single info that I'm not aware of.

Eldest turned her gaze to her book again, but replied nonetheless. "As I said before, guardians take the form of an animal, but they are not to be considered as pets. They are someone who'll accompany you until you're strong enough to be independent."

I mentally took notes of what she stated.

"Usually, guardians are only granted to the Imperial family, but now it is also permitted to other high ranking nobility." She continued. "Some of them are for those who have the ability and potential in the field of magic. Guardians are just like knights, they protect and guard you. At thesame time, they are like mages. You can depend to them when it comes to mana."

Mana? I think I'm familiar with that. A mana is needed for a magic, that's what mages needs the most.

"Guardians will also fade away the moment you are independent." She flipped into the other page. "Sometimes, this happens when you've reached adulthood."