Light

A reflection of gloominess in the mirror looked back at the regretful teenager. Teeth clenched and hands shaking as thoughts flooded his mind. How could I have been so stupid? I never want to put him in danger again. He is so much stronger than I am. Dammit. Ulgar tried so hard not to burst into tears as the incident on the beach kept replaying in his head. Moisture in his eyes could not be avoided any longer. And not even the hair covering his eye could hide it. The regretful boy tried to act normal as he heard footsteps approaching the bathroom.

"You almost done," asked a voice nearing him.

The voice woke up Ulgar from his shameful trance and he hated that it took a few seconds to realize it was Luca. The gloomy teen quickly improvised that he was washing his face in an attempt to hide the wetness running down his cheeks, not daring to even glance at the other. The lively teen completely contrasted with him and stood there smiling, knowing the other was only pretending to do something in order to not spark a conversation. Then, the former smile turned into a smirk.

"When are you gonna stop pretending to wash your face? Are you too embarrassed to talk to me or something," teased Luca as Ulgar turned off the water.

"Shut up," grunted the angsty teenager, drying his face with a towel.

Ulgar rushed out of the bathroom and headed for his room hoping the other wouldn't stop him. Unfortunately for the emo, Luca did exactly that.

"Hey wait," exclaimed the boy. "I have a question."

"What?" Ulgar turned around reluctantly wearing a usual scowl.

"Um...now that y-you know that um," Luca looks down and puts a hand on his chest. "Do you see me any differently?"

Ulgar wasn't sure if Luca was teasing him again or if he genuinely wanted to know. The gloomy teen looked up at the other's blue eyes, awaiting an answer. In that moment, the purple-haired teen's expression resembled that of a frightened kitten. Ulgar's scowl disappeared and his face muscles relaxed. A sincere expression began to grow but was quickly resisted. "No."

Luca was thankful that Ulgar was accepting of who he is, but quickly lightened up the mood with some classic teasing. "Wow you're a man of few words aren't you?"

The emo only shrugged and walked away, annoyed by the other following him. "Do you know how many days until we land on Planet Icriss," Ulgar heard Luca ask while still tailing him. Strangely, the adolescent felt a sense of security near the purple-haired boy. A feeling he hasn't felt since Finn showed him the light. After his passing, Ulgar let darkness rule his world and never allowed anyone else to reach out. Could Luca be the new light that fights Ulgar's darkness?

"About twenty days."

"Good, that gives us time to get to know each other."

"I don't wa-"

"Hey! I told you to stop with this wannabe lone wolf crap! I know you're secretly a little softie Ulgar, and it's my job to help you express that," Luca smiled while gazing into the other's uncovered eye.

Ulgar had no idea how to react. Why is he being so nice to me? Why does he care about me dammit!? I was literally about to murder you, don't you hate me!? The two boys arrived at the common area to find Aries, Quitterie, Kanata, Funicia, Zack, Yunhua and Charce sitting around the table laughing. Ulgar had zero interest for what was going on and stood against the wall, arms crossed and scowl activated.

"Hey what are you guys doing," asked the purple-haired teen to his jubilant crew members.

"Oh hi Luca! We're playing two truths and a lie! Would you and Ulgar like to play with us," beamed Aries, trying to calm herself down from her immense laughter.