10. Birthday

Lydia lays staring at the ceiling as the sun begins to rise; its gotta be about 5am, but she can't sleep. Her stomach twists with butterflies and nerves at the thought of Draco coming over. Again. So much for a summer away from each other. They're still no closer to resolving anything but does she care? Not right now. It's nice to be... Normal with him.

She jumps a bit at the sudden tap on her window, sitting up as she pushes the curtain aside. A beady eyed owl taps it's beak against the glass again, an envelope in its mouth as it waits. She opens the window and smiles as it hops in, onto her arm. "Hi cutie." She whispers, scratching its head gently.

It drops the letter and shakes its feathers out, enjoying the touch. She sits back carefully as to not startle it, rubbing its cheek gently. "Who do you belong to, hmm? Let's see." She whispers, using her free hand to open the letter.

Lydia,
Happy early birthday. I know it isn't for another 2 weeks or whatever but still. I wanted to be the first to say it.
I'll see you in a few hours but for now, let Burn keep you company. He likes to peck so be careful. Unless that's just me, who knows.
- Draco

Lydia giggles softly and looks at Burn

Lydia giggles softly and looks at Burn. "You're harmless. Aren't you buddy, yes." She says as he hoots softly. "I'd love an owl like you. Maybe one day." She muses as she keeps giving him the attention he seems to be wanting.

Before long she hears the stairs creak, her mum coming in. "Good morn- what the heck is that!" she shrieks.

Lydia strokes Burn as he flaps his wings, startled. "Shhh hey now bud, that's my mum. She's kind." She says, looking at her mum. "This is Burn. He's... A friend."

Sam stays at a distance. "Put it outside. Breakfast, now." She says, keeping her eyes on the bird as she backs up, rushing out.

Lydia giggles and kisses Burns head. "She doesn't like animals or birds, don't take offence buddy. There you go, you enjoy the sunshine." She sets him on her window cill, leaving the window wide for him, before she heads downstairs.

Her mum, dad, brothers and grandparents are already down there, a lopsided cupcake stood with a candle in the middle. "Tada!!" Sam sings, grinning at her daughter.

Lydia blushes. "Guyyyys, it's not even my birthday for like 2 weeks." She groans, smiling.

"But we won't get to see you, not with you always gone at that boarding school!" Her grandma moans, hating that Lydia is so far away. They aren't aware of the nature of the school she attends, they just know it's what's best for her and she's doing incredibly well.

Lydia smiles and sits down, enjoy her favourite breakfast - a good ole bacon sandwich. She enjoys the time spent with her grandparents, in all honesty, as now she's away at school she hardly sees them. They all decide to head out for a walk in the clammy weather, Lydia shoving a short flowy white dress on and some old converse, heading out.