Thand Tád

Part Two

2,777 words (always excludes author notes)

Night had completely enveloped the land, bringing with it dark storm clouds that soon broke to torrential rain. It flooded the streets, turning the dirt into sticky mud and making the branches heave under the pressure. The hobbits had made it across the river to the closest dock near Bree and cautiously made their way to the large wooden gate. Cefrey, now rested enough to walk, took the lead, not wanting her small companions to get lost in the mud and water that ran down their faces even with the hoods.

With glances in every direction whenever they walked to the next tree, Cefrey made sure that they were not caught off guard again. She may have regained most of her strength, but that spell from before drained her more than she would care to admit. And she knew they would not be so lucky the next time they ran into one -- or more -- of those black riders.

The lights of the gate flickered into view and a small dose of relief washed over the blonde. Bree may not have been the safest place for the five of them to go, but once they caught up with Gandalf, Cefrey knew they would be in better, more capable hands.

Her hood pulled tighter over her head as she left the tiny amount of shelter the trees gave her, Cefrey guided her four companions towards the gate. She knocked loudly, wanting to get into the slight safety the wall of Bree brought and out of the open road.

A small window opened up at her height and a surly looking old man popped his head through, eyeing the mage with a suspicious gaze. "What do you want?"

She gestured to the four halflings behind her and the gatekeeper's eyes widened just a bit more, "We're heading for the Prancing Pony. My friends and I require rest there."

"And our business is our own." Frodo interjected, also feeling the danger of being out in the open.

The gatekeeper nodded his head and unlocked the gate, allowing the strange group of five to walk into the confines of the small town. "All right, young sir, I meant no offense," As the hobbits walked ahead of the blonde, the gatekeeper whispered to her so they wouldn't hear. "It's my job to ask questions after nightfall. There's talk of strange folk abroad, can't be too careful."

Cefrey nodded her head gratefully and went after the others. The old man closed and locked the gate behind them, watching the group for a while longer before shrugging and returning to his work.

Trying to keep the halflings from getting run over, Cefrey finally spotted the old rusted sign of a white pony and ushered them all inside. She went over to the desk and cleared her throat, getting the barkeep's attention.

"I require a room for the night. Preferably one for four hobbits." Her voice ever wavered, having asked for a room here before, she knew exactly the accommodations they had.

The older man with his bushy mustache nodded his head after viewing the four halflings behind her. "Of course, young lady. Name, please?"

"Stormwind."

"Ah, of course. Right away."

She stopped the barkeep from leaving just yet with a quick raising of her hand. "Oh, one more thing. We're supposed to meet Gandalf here. Gandalf the Gray?
He continued cleaning the glass as he pondered her question. "Gandalf the Gray?... No, I don't believe he's been here in over six months."

Cefrey bit the inside of her lip and thanked the barkeep for his help. After situating their room keys, Cefrey told the hobbits to get some food and drink, gifting them a few coins from her purse that, in Sam's mind, appeared out of nowhere. She told them they would wait as long as they could for Gandalf to appear, though she knew that something must have happened to him to make him this late. Frodo asked if she would be joining them and she politely declined, saying there was a bit of business she needed to take care of.