Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"We're in the Shrieking Shack, aren't we?" Hermione asks. Harry doesn't answer, Hermione and Dani share a look, Harry is staring at the dog prints in the dust on the floor. They dash to the stairs. They come out, look down. A wide, shiny stripe cuts through the dust-covered floor, as if something has been dragged, to the end of the hallway, where light seeps from a door.

"Nox." Harry's wand-light dies. Slowly, they step to the door. Exchange a look. She nods, wand ready, and Harry kicks the door aside. Ron sits upon a sagging bed, clutching his bloody foot.

"Ron! You're okay..." Hermione rushes forward.

"The dog...where's the...." Harry asks.

"It's a trap, Harry. He's the dog. He's an Animagus..." Ron warns them. Harry looks down, follows the paw prints on the floor to a pair of filthy human feet. Harry looks up slowly at the man standing in the shadows. Filthy, matted hair hangs to his shoulders. His skin like a corpse. Sirius Black. He studies Harry's face keenly. Harry draws his wand.

"If you want to kill Harry, you'll....you'll... have to kill us, too!" Hermione warns.

"No. Only one will die tonight."

"Then it'll be you!" Harry is quick, aiming his wand at Sirius.

"Harry! No!" Dani snaps and grabs his wand from him.

"Dani!" Harry scolds when she steps between him and Sirius, her own wand pointed at Harry.

"It's not what it looks like" Dani defends, Harry gives her a look back. "Just listen to me..." She pleads. Just then, footsteps sound from outside of the shack, Sirius wheels toward the door, edgy. Harry eyes Sirius, wand hand shaking violently. As Sirius turns back, he stops, regards Harry cautiously. The door crashes open and Remus walks in.

"Professor Lupin!" Ron, Hermione, and Harry all state together, Remus ignores them, eyeing Sirius intensely.

"Looking a bit ragged, aren't we, Sirius? Finally, the skin reflects the madness within.

"You'd know all about the madness within, wouldn't you, Remus?" The two regard each other, the moment taut with tension, then Lupin steps forward and... embraces Sirius like a brother.

"No!" Hermione states. "I trusted you! I covered up for you. And all this time you've been his friend!" Hermione then points at Remus. "He's a werewolf! That's why he's been missing classes!" Harry and Ron stare, dumbfounded, at Remus, Sirius howls then, bitterly amused. Remus eyes him, then turns back and gives Dani a look.

"I didn't say anything" Dani assures him. "I wouldn't, Uncle Moony"

"Uncle?!" Ron, Hermione, Harry, and Sirius state together. Sirius then moves closer to looks at Dani's face.

"Callie is your mother?" Sirius whispers. Dani nods. "You look just like your father though" He touches her white hair and lifts a few strands up to peer at it. "Not sure where this came from" He mumbles thought.

"Sirius" Remus warns and shakes his head. Now is not the time or the place to be discussing family lines. "How long have you known?" Remus asks Hermione.

"Since Professor Snape set the essay."

"You're the brightest witch of your age I've ever met, Hermione."

"Yes, you glow like the sun. And you howl at the moon. Enough talk! He dies. Now. If you won't do it with me, Remus, I'll do it alone."

"Wait, Sirius"

"I did my waiting! Twelve years of it! In Azkaban! Trust me, you wouldn't have lasted a week!" Sirius points out. Remus looks at Sirius and then nods, letting out a small sigh.