Something In The Way

It is now almost summer; around six months since the night at The Vogue.

A lot has changed aside from the seasons; Aberdeen's usual grey haze was actually gone for once and the sun sparkled on the steady flowing waters of the Wishkah.

I sat under the bridge with my new guitar--I've been carrying it with me everywhere since I first got it. I was determined to get good at it.

Gently strumming aimlessly, I stared into the river sadly. While things were great, they just didn't feel as good as they could be. Maybe that's just me, though.

We had all graduated last week; everyone except for Kurt, that is. He didn't have enough credits to graduate so he just dropped out. He and Tracy have been dating for almost five months, now. They're currently living together in Olympia where Tracy works and Kurt spends his time working on music or various art projects. I don't really know because I don't talk to him anymore. I heard from Krist that he has started a band called Fecal Matter, but who knows how well that's going. I rarely see Tracy too, but that's because she's working all the time. Her job is working in a cafeteria all the way in Ocean Shores, which is as northwest as you can go from Aberdeen. The drive along that peninsula doesn't seem worth it to me--especially with her living in Olympia--but she says it's worth the money. I feel bad for her, still. I understand her wanting to keep Kurt's dreams alive because she loves him, but the whole thing seems kind-of one sided. From what she tells me, Kurt is uninspired and a slow work-in-progress. However, progress is being made, at least.

"I don't want you to think I'm babysitting him," she told me. "We love each other, we're just... nurturing each other rather than what ordinary couples might be." She trailed off. I grabbed her hand comfortingly, but inside I knew it was mostly her 'nurturing' Kurt.

On the same note, Marty and I have been dating practically since the night at The Vogue. While things are usually pretty good between us, we have a hard time connecting on things that matter to our relationship. When you take away the similar taste in music that we share, as well as the lightheartedness we bring into each other's lives, we rarely can agree on everything.

In fact, it seems we're always arguing. Which is why I sit here, under this bridge, watching the river flow by, thinking about Marty and how I've never really loved him. Or, if this is love, then love is super fucking over-rated. I got up angrily, kicking the dirt, putting my guitar in its bag and starting towards the Denny's. Walking in, there was no Tracy at the bar serving waffles to the customers. I sighed dramatically over my miniscule troubles. Like, there's literally people dying, right now.

I plopped down near one of the only people in the restaurant, a boy around my age with long brown hair and... I don't know how else to describe him. He was both unique and plain looking. He sat at the bar, sipping orange juice and reading a book. I've never seen him in Aberdeen before.

"Where are you from?" I ask him somewhat abruptly. "Sorry, not to intrude." I laugh upon realizing how rude I sounded.

"Obviously not here, huh?" he laughed. "I'm David, but most people call me Dave."

"Cool, I'm (y/n)." I said, shaking his hand.

He had a somewhat bubbly and sarcastic nature, but was genuinely a pretty nice person. He had come from Springfield all the way in Virginia.

"What brings you to Aberdeen?" I quizzed.

"Ah, I live here now. I'm starting my senior year in high school, this year." He said dully, the twiddling of his thumbs slowing. "Not lookin forward to it."

"I bet." I said, sipping on my tea.

We talked for the duration of our meals before we parted ways, exchanging phone numbers.

"Hope to see you around Dave!" I said as he waved back happily, walking away down the street.

That was unexpected, I guess.

I got home and sat at the kitchen table in front of the answering machine, sipping on a root beer. I pressed play and sure enough Marty's voice filled the room. There had been about a million missed calls from him. I angrily took the tape out of the answering machine and promptly threw it away in the trash, storming upstairs to disappear into my room. We had another big argument today, and quite frankly I was really beginning to dislike him; his snarky, elitist and sexist values, his arrogance and immaturity; it fucking bugged me.

Lately, the idea of leaving Aberdeen was very appealing. Everyone else had left, so why shouldn't I? Even Krist has left; he now lives in Tacoma with his new girlfriend, Shelli who he met at a Sex Pistols concert. She's really cool. Out of everyone, Krist seems the happiest in life. I decided that I wanted to try and bring everyone together again somehow. Maybe I'll ask Tracy if I can stay with her for a while--that is until I find a place of my own in Olympia. That way I can help her out with some bills, too.

It's time to leave Marty, Aberdeen, and the bridge near the Wishkah. It's time to start a new chapter in life.

(Author's Note:) This is a kind-of lame filler chapter, but I wanted to introduce Dave into the story, too so yeah. I'm pretty sure he didn't meet Kurt in Aberdeen but that's how it's gonna be in this! I'll try to have the next chapter up by tomorrow or so :D!