Ready when you are

The clock strikes eight in the evening on Christmas day. People have been walking in and out none stop from the cafeteria since early in the morning and we've been busting our kidneys through our whole shift!

My manager asks if I can stay till close which means doing three more hours overtime and against my will, I agree. Why? Because I'm that person that doesn't say no and especially when I see people in need of something. On my break time I phone my mum about coming home late and if she has time, she would phone my boyfriend, Corpse, to tell him since I've been calling and he hasn't been answering at all.

The good thing is, whenever the day gets busy, the time flies by really quickly.

I punch out, say my goodbyes and wish a happy Merry Christmas to my co-workers before heading off to the bus stage. As I walk through the streets, I bury my face inside the high collar jacket while watching the snow dancing down the sky through the air. My cold hands dash their way into the pockets, praying that the bus won't take long so I can go home and sit next to the fireplace with my beloved boyfriend.

The clothes shield my warm body from the cold breeze but the temperature is chilling to the bone.

I dig my head down and stiff my shoulders and neck to protect me from the cold when I harshly bump into a person.

"Sor-!" I gasp. In front of me stands a tall guy, wearing a long black coat, black comfy trousers and black converse. The only piece of clothing which isn't black is the grey scarf hanging around his neck. He looks at me in the eyes and a smile forms on his chapped lips.

"Whaddup baby~"

I grin so widely at my boyfriend. "Corpse!" I jump on him to give a big tight hug. "I didn't expect you to be here!"

Corpse squishes me into his arms. "I wouldn't want to let my lady freeze to death tonight! I was busy preparing something that's why I haven't answered. Come on, my car is just around the corner!"

He locks his hand into mine and we both rush to the vehicle. I let out a sigh of relief as soon as both of us close the door and get into the cozy spot. Corpse starts off the engine and drives off carefully to his house.

His parents and mine are close friends so they are meeting up to a fancy restaurant to spend the Christmas night together. My parents have known that I'm attending work on Christmas day so I've spent my whole time on the twenty fourth with them. We have eaten delicious meal my father has cooked, get to open the presents and drank some mulled wine by the fireplace.

We would have gone with them but I'm too tired to even walk. At least they are understandable, plus Corpse have wanted to spend the night with me since it's been a long time for us to hang out alone.

I swirl inside the backpack to search for the phone. After, I dial my mum's number and put it on speaker.

"Hi darling, how was work?! Your dad and I are waiting for Corpse's parents to arrive. Is everything okay?!" my mum speaks at the other end of the line.

I take out my small mirror which I carry around in my backpack, and check out my reflection, only to find my messy hair all over the place and my eyeliner smudged underneath my eyebags.

"Work was busy, I couldn't even find a time to go to the loo!" I reply as I run my fingers through my hair to brush it down. "Corpse is driving us home, so we should be there soon!"

"It's almost your sixth-year anniversary, right?"

I continue on removing the smudge with my fingers, not knowing why my mother has brought this up.

"Yes, it's on January fifth. Why?" I ask, curiously.

My mother pauses for a bit. "When are you planning to make us grandparents?"