Chapter 8, The Old Gods

Tengri knew that the others, being shifters, had a more intimate sense of the spiritual reality of their bodies than he had. He knew the importance of maintaining his link to his own body. He knew that this was second nature to them. But not so much to him. He reviewed in his own mind what he knew of what they were about to do.

He knew that each participant in their little venture lived in their own Now, and were tracking the changing Nows of the others with their own progress, their own creation of links to new events. They were all tracking with a sequence of Nows that were very similar, but not quite identical, because these new events were linking to different histories, making different connections. 

Those different tracks included their different body association tracks. Tengri focused on that, and determined that he must maintain his links to the spiritual essences of his physical body. He knew that in this realm these thoughts were open to his companions. So he asked, in thought, Have I got that right? Am I missing anything vital? Can you help keep me connected?

He got affirmative responses from them all. Mister Green's response was, I understand that you are by nature what you call an Eagle, and you are intensely analytical. But you are also one of the strongest shamans I have ever known. You have travelled far in the spirit realm many times. That experience will surely see you through. But we will all be able to help guide you, there and back again. 

Mister Green continued, for the benefit of all of them. Before we start, I should warn you. Some of the old gods are not happy with their lot. They have memories of old times, but have lost touch with their Creator and remain very willful. It is true that they are creatures of what you call dark matter, which seems to have little influence on daily affairs in our world. But there is great power available in their realm, and some of them know how to control the lightning and other high energy manifestations.

Cern responded, I've had some experience with that. I wonder if when I call the lightning I am actually calling on one of the old gods.

Very likely. You might want to get better acquainted.

Now?

Oh, no. I suggest we should call on on a couple of old friends of mine in England first. Both are ghosts of the sort you want to meet. One enjoyed making fancy crop circles. The other seeded rain clouds with dust to make rain and fog when the mood took her. They both have stories to tell about dealing with humans and animals. 

Kore said, Tengri, I know from what you've told us that these dark gods will appear ghostly, but how will they see us? Will they see our spirit forms, as we see each other now?

Dema chose to answer. Kore, do you remember the time, back in Chicago just before I met Cern, when I learned how to see ghosts?

Oh, yeah, that's when you told us that everyone has a ghost, that we project for others to see in their minds. It's just like what we do now when we use a drone without lenses.

Mister Green added, These dark matter spirits learned that trick long ago, because just as it's hard for us to see them, it's hard for them to see us with their ultraviolet eyesight. Even though they have dark matter bodies, it's as spirits that they will see our spirit projections, and we will see theirs.

Wow. I get it. Do you think they can see QAR projections? If they can, some of the more creepy ones people come up with might scare the, uh, whatever out of them! I wonder how many drones that lightning guy has blasted.

At that Tengri relaxed. He definitely felt more grounded. Let's go, he said.

Mister Green said, Please follow me.