Chapter 73

Isabelle's POV

Nothing was the same anymore. I wasn't myself. I was feeling like I was a zombie, a dead body. I couldn't sleep at nights, and on those rare nights I got one or two hours of sleep, I woke up after a bad dream.

Why was I like this? Becuase I saw how a person was murdered right next to me. I felt how his limp body fell lifeless beside me. I stared into his eyes...Those images were haunting me every day, every night.

I started ignoring what was happening around me, I became cold. I felt guilty, I knew what happened with Peter was my fault. He died because I thought he was the one who tried to kill me. Every single night, I had this feeling that he was staring at me, waiting to hurt me, waiting to make me pay for what happened.

I was literally in hell. The fact that Aiden and I didn't go out anymore because the police didn't find out who set that fire at the cafeteria, didn't help. It just made me fear more.

Yes, Zayn tried to talk with me, tried to help me. But I pushed him away every time. I needed some time at the beginning, some time alone. But after this, I started drifting away. I didn't know what to talk with Zayn. I knew no one liked me, why should've I bothered Zayn? And don't tell me it's not true, someone tried to kill me!

I wanted to be like I used to. I wanted back what Zayn and I used to have. But something deep inside me was telling me I should leave. I made Zayn's life a mess, I destroyed it. Because of this, I couldn't even look him in the eyes anymore so, as I said, I pushed him away. Same with the others.

It was a cold day outside, a typical autumn day. The wind was blowing, the sky was grey. All the trees lost their beautiful green colour, being all golden and brown. Cliché, I know, but this is exactly how I was feeling.

I was standing up straight on the balcony, staring at the empty streets. My head raised itself when I heard a loud thunder, closing my eyes when another breeze hit my body. My arms locked at my chest, trying to warm myself.

"You'll catch a cold..." I heard Zayn saying, my head finally turning to look at him. I didn't even heard when he came.

He had one of my sweaters in his right hand, staring at me from the door. I didn't answer him though, I just shook my head, as a sign that I won't.

Resuming my staring, it didn't pass long till I felt Zayn putting the sweater on my shoulders, hugging me from behind after. I sighed in relief a little when I felt some warm. His head was resting on my left shoulder, his long eyelashed tickling the skin of my neck.

We stayed like this for a few minutes, none of saying a word.

"I talked with the others." Zayn said at some point. "They're on their way here."

I nodded, once again, not answering. I wasn't talking so much anymore. I was at that point when hearing my voice made me feel too weird to do it again.

A long sigh left Zayn's mouth, making me get goosebumps when his hot breath ended on my skin. I knew I was driving him crazy, I knew he wanted to give up on me. But also, I knew he didn't want to hurt me, that's why he wasn't capable to tell me.

"Don't you want to do something today?" Zayn tried to make conversation. "Just me and you. Let's....watch a movie maybe? I can call the others and tell them to go back if you want to.."

"No, it's fine." I whispered, shaking my head a little. "Let them come."

"Some officer called me earlier." he confessed, making my heart skip a beat. "They still have no clue of what happened..."

I sighed, disappointed. You would think that the police from London is great, huh? Well, you all know now it is not.

"They're incompetent." I said. "I'm tired of staying locked here all day. I'm sure Tom and John are tired too...They have their families."