《 Chapter 25 》

My mother sighed heavily. Her palms were sweaty and she rubbed them together.

"I've been waiting for you to ask this question since." She began. "Your father's name is Afolabi. He was my senior in school. He was very jovial and athletic; there was no sport he wasn't good at - that earned him the Sports Prefect. He had many admirers and I was one of them. He didn't notice me then because I used to be shy and quiet. It was not until I got injured during sport and he was asked to take me to the school nurse. He kept on checking on me even when I had fully recovered. we became friends and one thing led to another: relationship! This was a dream come true for me.

"He graduated two years before me but he couldn't go to the university due to his failure of JAMB. Well, this only prolonged our relationship and honestly, I was glad. I wanted to get into the university with him so I felt God was trying to delay him for my sake. We kept dating even though he was out of secondary school.

"He told me once that his parents were planning to send him out of the country to further his education. I was very devastated. I asked him how he'd fulfil all the promises he made to me if he was going out of the country. Well, he told me he'd definitely come back for me and then, we had sex the day before he was to leave. He said it was a form of bonding; well he was right. You are what bonds us together." My mother wiped the bead of sweat on her forehead. I sat without interrupting her. I was engrossed.

"He travelled the next day and that was the beginning of my misery. My mother noticed I was pregnant when I started showing symptoms. Just as any other African mother would, she asked me to tell her who was responsible. Mind you, neither of our parents knew we were in a relationship. Afolabi's parents had never seen me before. That was why it was very hard to convince his parents that he was responsible for the baby.

"It was when you were born that they finally believed since you look just like him. They decided to cater for you by giving financial support but grandma refused their support. She wanted me to get married to Afolabi as quickly as possible but his parents refused. Grandma then concluded that they forget all about you since they didn't agree to the marriage proposal. His parents were less concerned so they didn't argue with grandma.

"We left that neighbourhood years later and since then, I've not laid my eyes on Afolabi. I don't know where he is or if his parents told him about you but we could go back to that neighbourhood to check if his parents still live there. That's left for you to decide."

I didn't know what to say. I didn't know what I wanted at that moment. The only thing I could think about were the numerous lies grandma told me about my father.

She had said his parents sent him out of the country immediately my mother got pregnant meanwhile he had travelled out of the country weeks before mother noticed she was pregnant. The thought that my father may have not heard about my existence hurt badly.

"You don't have to answer now. You have enough time to think this through. I'm not going to rush you."

"I will like us to go there," I said before I could think. "If it won't be a bother." I paused.

"Besides. . .I don't blame you. No one is above mistake so. . .I forgive you, mum. It wasn't like you planned this kind of life for me. I'm sorry what I said the other day caused you pain." I added softly.

"Shhhh!" My mother placed her finger on my lip. "I saw it coming. There's a limit to what a person can bear. The fact that you were able to endure till this moment shows how strong you are. I wouldn't have been able to. I'm glad you spoke that way. . .now grandma can see that you are not happy at all. I told her you weren't happy but she said since you were not complaining, you are."

"If only I was bold enough, I would have complained since I was two." I sneered and my mother let out a laugh. It had been so long I heard her laugh. I laughed along with her and together, our laughter formed a melodious sound; the sweetest melody I had ever heard.

My mother helped pack some clothes and some other things I would need into the black bag she had brought earlier. She asked if I wanted to say bye to grandma before we left but I shook my head so she asked me to wait for her in the car while she spoke with grandma. I nodded and carried the bag out into the car.

I sat at the front seat as I waited for her. I knew if I went into the room to see grandma, I'd only rain down accusations on her. I didn't want to see her. She had caused me so much pain than she could ever imagine.

My mother came in after some minutes and I didn't ask what took her so long. Instead, I put on the radio in case she wanted to speak. I didn't want to hear anything concerning grandma.

It was such a long drive to mother's house. We got there in the afternoon and my mother went straight to a school to pick up my step-siblings. They were just as I imagined only that I didn't expect them to be this rambunctious. I marvelled at the freedom in which they spoke.

They poured down lots of questions when they found out I was the big sister mother told them about often. I learnt that Chioma, the first was ten years old while Ugo, was five.

I stayed in my mother's house for five days and was on my way back to grandma's on Sunday. I wished I could stay longer. Even the kids wished I would. They had become so fond of me just as I had of them.

My life in my mother's house was entirely different. It was the best I had lived so far. I saw a lot of movies; I didn't touch my books for a second. Mother took me out to see some remarkable places such as the national theatre and stadium. It was a beauty to behold.

We ate in several canteens and we went swimming even though I couldn't swim. It was a shocker that my step-siblings, as little as they were could. It was obvious they were more exposed than me. I didn't know half of the things they talked about. Shame to me!

Mother had taken her time to educate me properly on issues of sex so I don't go into the world a novice. She told me I'd soon be leaving for the university and so needed to be well-grounded on issues of sex. She explained to me how a woman got pregnant and how pregnancy could be avoided.

She spoke about the use of condom though abstinence was the key. She gave me a big book which had 'Every Woman' written boldly on it. She asked me to read it to gain more knowledge.

That day, my mother made me promise not to make the same mistake she did and I agreed. She also made a vow to take me to my father's family house after I finished my exams. Finally, she asked me to tell her about Peter and I gladly did. We laughed all through the conversation.