48~ Xavier Russo

After signing the contract, I shot up and was about to leave when Damien stopped me.

"Are you heading to the high court?"

"Yeah. I just called Brian and he told me that the court is in session. I should go now, I'm already late. I should be there for her.", I tried rushing but Damien stopped me again again by placing his hand on my shoulder

"What do you want?!"

"Mind if I come with? I want to see how it goes"

"Sure. Whatever", I shrugged his hand off my shoulder and walked out the door.

"Let's go in my car", Damien directed me towards his car parked in the basement.

After we got in his Ferrari, we reached the High Court in 20 minutes. Walking out the car, I called Brian to see if Damien and I can come in.

"Yes you can Mr Russo. Miss White's about to be cross examined by Mr Hawthorn's lawyer right now. I'll come outside and wait for you both"

Damien and I strode in long steps to the double doors Brian was standing next to and entered the court, fashionably late as few heads turned to stare at us. The Mayor being one of them.

He arched an eyebrow at Damien and motioned for us to come sit next to him. No words were exchanged as Damien pushed me to sit next to the Mayor as he sat beside me.

Looking up ahead I saw Bella standing in the witness box with who I presume is Hawthorn's lawyer standing infront of her.

"First of all your honour I'd like to question the witness on the late chaffeur that was convicted guilty to the murder of Emma White.", Hawthorn's lawyer started and turned towards Bella, "Has he been in the family's employment for long?"

"No?. I mean I haven't seen him before. I usually drive myself so I'm not familiar with the chaffeurs working for us", Bella replied after taking a minute to think.

"Your honour, she mentioned that it was in the later hours of the night that the accident happened. She also mentioned that the crashed car came to a stop at the bottom of a hill, where I presume has very little lighting. Therefore I can't help but wonder how she can so straightforwardly and boldy acccuse my client of the murder when she couldn't possibly have seen his face clearly. For all she know, it could've really been the chaffeur, considering he isn't someone she is familiar with to recognise or not recognise in the very dim lighting"

"He jumped out! He jumped out the car before it rolled down the hill. And! It was a cloudless night, there was enough moonlight for me to make it out that the man that shot my sister infront of my very eyes was NOT the fat and short chaffeur that drove us", Bella aggressively added as she hit her hand on the witness box.

"How were you able to see the cloudless sky in your state? You told the court that due to extreme exhaustion, you didn't even notice the chaffeur changing routes, so at what time did you suddenly come out of your exhaustion to stare at the cloudless sky? Was it after you had a concussion and witnessed a murder?", the lawyer sarcastically asked as Bella  fumed.

"Are you dumb? First of all, if I am to stare out a broken car window while the car in itself was crushed, and there is some lighting outside, you're to automatically assume that it's the moon and not the murderer flashing a light in your face!"

"Damn the inner Natalie White jumped out of your 'Bella' ", Damien joked from beside me. I ignored him and paid attention to the ongoing interrogation.

"Very well. Let's 'assume' that you did see the murderer's face clearly.", Hawthorn's lawyer  gave Bella a look and turned towards the judge, "But your honour we need to take the accused and the victim's background into consideration as they're from two rival political parties aiming bring each other down. So if even she did see the murderer's face clearly, it'd still be her words against his as the prosecution does not have evidence to back up her claim other than her words."

The Mean Duo ✔On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara