“It'll amaze you to know that there was a whole world before you and cell phones.” He responded. “And it'll amaze you to know that I have 394 friends in here.” She said tapping her phone. I raised an eyebrow. “And I'm amazed that you believe that.” Dad said then he walked up to the board and drew a line.

“This is a timeline of all human existence. Starting here-” He points at the start of the timeline. 

“—is everyone who ever lived, laughed, loved, and understood the value of life. The cellphone era, which begins right around here-” He then draws a line almost at the end of the timeline. 

“—pretty much destroys all of that. Way to go, you.” He finished then turned back to the class. Lucas raised his hand. “Sir, if I may take a different position?” He asked him. Dad looked at him.  “Yeah, save me, Mr. Friar. Do I go too far?” I looked at my dad in disbelief. He always goes too far.

“Always, sir. I understand your point, but we use our phones to video chat with our old friends and to find out what's going on in Texas.” He told dad. Maya turned to him and smirked. “Yeah. How else can they keep tabs on all the hoedowns and cattle pageants?” She said in a teasing tone. “Maya!” Riley and I exclaimed. “It's okay, Riley and Ally. Were unaffected by Maya's views of country life. As our Uncle Buster always says, "Be like an eagle and soar above the mockingbird."” Ian told us. Riley turned to Maya. “You're the mockingbird.” Riley says do Maya. “I know.” She then turns to Lucas and Ian. Who were smiling at the annoyed blond. “It kills me that I can't get to both of you.” She said annoyed.

“Sorry, ma'am.” Lucas said, tipping an imaginary hat. She shudders in annoyance and turns away. Farkle raises his hand. “Farkle time, sir?” He asks my dad. “Oh, I love Farkle time.” He then switches seats with Farkle.as much as i love Farkle Time I decided to ignore the rest of the conversation until dad walked back up front. “The assignment, you can't escape it, I am teacher! Okay, so here's what we're going to do, guys. We're going to split into teams and discover whether or not new technology has made us better people. You'll do presentations on your findings. And here's a twist. No computers.” Oh god Riley isn’t going to make it. I looked at her and the color drained from her face.

“What?!” Farkle exclaimed. He’s not going to make it either. “We're going old school. You're going to do your research at the New York Public Library.” he told the class. Well ok that can't be bad. I mean it’s the library so books yayyyy. “And here's another twist because I trust you not at all. Give me your cell phones.” he told us.Nevermind. I turned to Riley. She’s definitely not going to make it. “No!” She yelled. Poor Riley. “Yeah. Come on, hand 'em up, hand 'em up.” Dad starts walking around taking phones Ian and I just put them in the box. We really didn’t care as we talk more in person than phones. 

“Thank you, thank you. Okay, so our teams for this assignment. Maya.” Before he could finish Farkle jumped in her lap. She just pushes him off. “Ok Ian and Ally. Then Riley and…. No! No!” he said. I laughed. The bell rang and Ian and I walked out the classroom. We decided to leave the three alone and leave.
…………………………………………

We were all at the library. Ian and I left the group and went to my secret place in the library. No one knows about it. It's where I go to be alone and relieve stress. “I’ve never let people around me much. I mean other than Maya, Farkle, and Riley. I used to have a friend named Missy. Missy Bradford. But it didn’t end well. I was dating this boy named Ethan and we were together for a year. It was my birthday so I went to the mall with Riley and Maya. I saw Missy and Ethan together kissing. I never let anyone in until I was pushed into your lap on the subway. You make me feel worth it. Thank you Ian.” I told him he smiled at me and grabbed my hand. “You will always be worth it. That Ethan boy is a jerk for cheating on a beautiful and wonderful girl like you.” He told me. I smiled at him and hugged him. “I will never turn my back on you and I'm going to prove to you that I'm not like that jerk.” He told me. I smiled at him and nodded. I hugged him again. Then we talked for the rest of the time we were there. 

When we got home I went to mom and hugged her. Dad asked how Riley’s night was.

“Thank you, for sending us to the library.” She told him. I smiled at her and she smiled back.

“Really?” He asked. I kissed mom on the cheek and went to bed with a smile on my face.
…………………………………………

The next day dad handed everyone their phones back. Then we presented. It was Ian and i’s turn. “We never really talked to each other on the phone and because of that i feel like i'm worth it and can talk to someone.'' I told the class. “Because we are not on our phones we learn stuff about a person. What they've been through. What they like or dislike. It’s worth it.” Ian said, looking at me. I smiled at him and he smiled back.

 I smiled at him and he smiled back