Mr. Boss: Chapter 1

"Mom! Dad! I'm ready!" I shout, running down the stairs with two big luggage bags in my hands.

Today is the day I'm moving to New York City to live with my childhood best friend, Cyrus. We haven't seen each other for two years. He left here when he got a job offer to be a manager for some magazine company in New York. To say I've missed him after these two years would be an understatement. When he first left we video chatted and texted each other a lot, but after a while we started to become busier in our new lives without each other. Obviously he thought about me still even after all these months of almost complete silence from both of us. That's a good thing, because I've thought about him non-stop. He was the guy that was always there for me when I needed someone most.

Last week I got a text from him asking me if I wanted to move out to New York with him and work as his assistant. He said that his old assistant quit when he got offered a better job in California. Of course I accepted Cyrus' offer. I was literally bouncing off the walls for an entire day. I hadn't heard from him in a week or two before that, so getting a text one morning from him that asked if I wanted to see him was exciting.

When we were in high school Cyrus would always bet that I would be working for him someday. For whatever reason he just believed whole heartedly that I would work for him. Me being the feminist I am would always tell him to shut up and say that I bet he would be working for me because I was the smartest out of the two of us. I guess Cyrus is getting his wish now, I'm leaving today to go work for him.

Luckily for him I'm out of college and desperate for a job. If it weren't for my desperation I wouldn't have said yes to be his assistant. That title just seems too sexist to me. The year after college, though, has proved to be the toughest for me. I've been trying so hard to find a job for the past few months that I had just recently decided to give myself a break.

Coming out of my thoughts, I drop one luggage bag on the floor long enough for me to throw open the front door. Not caring to close the door behind me, I fast walk to the car like my life depended on it. Which it kind of did. I'm currently running late. I was supposed to leave five minutes ago to get to the airport on time.

After slamming the trunk closed with my two bags inside I hop in the back seat and watch as my parent make their way to the car. They had insisted on driving to me to the airport to see me off. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm glad they're driving me. I'm going to miss them so much.

"Honey, are you sure you're going to be okay with Cyrus?" My mom asked as she buckled her seat belt.

"Of course, mom. I'm sure Cyrus will take good care of your precious gem," I tease and after getting a chuckle from my dad, I smile.

"I'm sure he will, pumpkin. Laura, try not to worry too much. I'm sure they'll be all over each other," my dad laughed again as he turned the car on and started to back out of the driveway.

"Hey! What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing. Nothing. Just don't be to surprised when you get there and your guys relationship has 'taken it up a notch' as you kids say," he said nonchalantly, pulling onto the street.

"Dad! It's not like either of us have changed. We're still the same stupid friends we've always been," I huff looking out the window.

"Promise your mom and I that you'll use protection."

"Herald!" mom shouted punching his arm,"Get your mind out of the gutter! At this rate Alex will never want to come visit us!"

Ignoring my mom I glared at dad,"Ew dad. Trust me, there will be no protection needed."

"Oh great. Is that some kind of code for-"

"Shut it dad. There will be no sex between Cyrus and I. End of story."