•One Step Closer To War•

Start from the beginning

"They put a stereo in the basement and blared music twenty-four seven so they couldn't eavesdrop on anything," Cade says and I glance over at the young blonde werepanther. "Okay, so what's the plan?" Willa asks staring down at the map.

"Our wolves will keep the hunters busy, distract them from Cade and I sneaking in and breaking the werecats out. Then we give them some payback for torching the Clan's territory," Wyatt says and Willa glances at him. "You're going to blow up their outpost?"

"That a problem?"

"None whatsoever, brother," she says and they share a smile. "We need to stay in wolf form and make sure we don't let any of them get a shot off. If it hits anyone it could kill us," Crystal says with an anxious expression. "Then we don't give them a chance to react. We should just rip them apart!" Wynter says and Crystal shakes her head.

"Killing them isn't the answer."

"Crystal, they're the most dangerous family of hunters in the world we can't just let them go," Ally says and I nod in agreement. "You saw what they did to Caleb. You know what they're capable of," I tell her and she nods. "Yeah and if we kill them then we're no better than them. They win either way."

"Crystal, I understand that, but it's not that black and white. Some times it comes down to either them or us. You heard Lukas wars have casualties. They've killed billions of supernatural creatures and if we don't stop them then they'll wipe all of you out of Seabrook and they won't stop here."

"Ally's right, Crystal. The Reapers won't hesitate to drop any of us if they get the chance," Cade says curtly and she looks at him. She sighs and crosses her arms, messing with her moonstone. "Crystal, you can sit out if—" She cuts her mate off with a wave of her hand.

"I'm gonna be there. I'm the Alpha and I understand what will happen if we fall to the Reapers. We'll all die. I guess… you're all right." I drink what's left of my coffee and then set it down. "Alright, I'm gonna head into town. Pick up supplies for us and the wolves."

"Thanks, Alec. Here," Crystal says pulling a folded up piece of paper from her pocket and holding it out to me. I take it from her and nod in thanks before heading into the kitchen. I see Robin cooking at the stove and Lukas sitting at the table cleaning his guns.

"Hey, Lukas?" He sets his pistol down and glances at me. "Yeah?"

"Think I could borrow your truck for a supply run?"

"Only if you promise not to scratch it."

"Scout's honor," I say and he smiles lightly before slipping his hand into his jean pocket, pulling out his keys. "Here ya go," he says before tossing them in my direction and I catch them. "Thanks. I'll be back soon."

"Be careful on those roads, Alec."

"I will, Robin." I turn and head back through the house, grabbing my jacket from the coat rack and pull it on over my thin cotton hoodie. I open the door and head back out into the cold, making a beeline for Lukas' truck. I open the door and pull myself inside, closing it behind me.

I sigh and my breath billows out in a wispy cloud. I push the key into the ignition and start it up, listening to the engine roar to life. I sit for a few minutes, fiddling with the radio as I wait for the engine to warm up. Eventually I find a good music station and then crank up the heater, sighing again as warm air is expelled from the vents.

I put my seatbelt on then put the truck in reverse before carefully backing out of the small driveway. After I'm done I put the truck back into drive then pull out onto the road that leads into town. I tap rhythmically on the steering wheel as a song I'm a little familiar with plays through the speakers. Once that song ends another one plays.