|10| The Business

Start from the beginning

"What do you mean by that?!" What did I do, why is it bad, what does that even mean? I thought telling someone would make me feel better but now I want to freak out more. James reassures me with a side hug, laughing under his breath.

"The man looked possessed and pissed, it doesn't help that you look fucking spectacular in that dress. I think the dude is in his feelings about the night y'all spent together." Yeah, right. I instantly dismiss what James says and push my hair away from my face. It is a mess from Adonis curling his hand around it.

"No, James, we both agreed that it was business. Nothing else. Half the time we were arguing and then the other half we were fucking. I don't think-" Someone calls my name from the other side of the hallway and I throw that fake smile back on. There is no time for me to fall apart and panic about this mess with Adonis. This isn't the place or time.

"This isn't a good time, I'm fine, James. I am hoping I can go the rest of the night without facing him. Let's get this over with so I can go home."

I've got this. I'm Envy. I'm a bad bitch. Adonis is an asshole, all is right in the world.

As soon as I leave the enclosure, I am once again swarmed by people, I force myself to put the situation with Adonis in the back of my mind. My job is to play a part and I play my ass off. James follows me and takes his place beside me, introducing me to some business partners and keeping me far away from Adonis.

Even though there is distance between us, I find my eyes catching his multiple times. It almost feels like there is no one else in the room with us. An invisible string connecting the two of us and we can't look away.

I need to focus on business, not some dude who fucked me and left. There is nothing for me there and I have a career ahead of me. There are no breaks, from one person to the next, carrying on placid conversations and praying the night will be over soon. I manage to excuse myself long enough to grab another glass only to be bombarded again by someone I wished to avoid,

"My, look who it is, the girl of the hour," Yet again, I regret coming here and turn to face who spoke. Dawn, one of the top five, stands behind me with her arms crossed in front of her. She is dressed in a tight red set even skimpier than mine. The material crosses over her chest, stomach, and hips with thick lines and the rest of her skin is on show.

Her dark hair lands at her hips in waves, and her makeup is expertly done. Only the best for Sin City's pet dog. The tall heels make her around my height and we stare eye to eye. "No one has been able to stop gushing about your show," She takes a sip of her champagne. "It is almost annoying."

It is probably really annoying because no one is talking about her. They haven't spoken her name in a good while. Ever since I outranked her in my first year, she has had a vendetta against me. She is a vicious, jealous person with a posse of other bitchy cam girls.

"I guess you are just as bad as the rest of us now," I barely hold back an eye roll, taking another sip of the expensive champagne. She has done lives with other cam stars but they have never gotten close to the number of views I get, alone. So my show with Adonis is the most popular live show to ever hit Sin City. It enrages her.

"Wouldn't think so, numbers and all," I smirk almost laughing at the glare she sends me. I outrank everyone here on the site, holding number one for almost a year. I also have been getting the top views since my show with Adonis. I am their competition making me the biggest bitch in the land tonight.

Her status could never compare to my own. She knows it. I know it. But she is still in denial, her time in the limelight has ended and she hates to watch anyone but her succeed.