"Uh, not exactly. There's a bus stop about a half a mile up the street. I usually wait there," Alex explained, readjusting the straps of her backpack and sticking her hand out for the boy to shake. "You must be new here, huh? I'm Alex."

"Miguel Diaz," the boy introduced, shaking her hand quickly. "And yeah, I'm new. Uh, do you have a bike? Because we could bike together if you'd like."

"Yeah, I think there might be one somewhere in my brothers stuff," Alex nodded, beginning to walk towards her apartment. When she got to the door, she put her key in and opened it to reveal her mom staring at her with a shocked look.

"Who the hell are you, and why are you in my apartment?" her mother asked, her words like venom as she spat them. The look she was giving Alex would be classified as a cold glare. "Go on, get outta here!"

Alex only nodded sadly, shutting the door as she turned back to Miguel, who now stood and watched in confusion. "That was my mom," she started to explain, only furthermore confusing the boy. "She has Alzheimer's, so her not remembering me is actually quite common. It's no big deal, though. I can just call one of my friends to pick me up."

Miguel gave her a quick, sympathetic look before turning looking to the ground. He resisted asking about where her dad was— knowing personally that Dad's aren't the easiest thing to have or keep nowadays, nor did he want to upset her anymore. "Oh, I'm sorry about that. Well, if you're friends can't pick you up, I could walk with you. I'm sure we wouldn't even be late, either, if we walked fast."

"Mmm, that actually doesn't sound that bad," she agreed. Thinking about it, another friend wouldn't be too bad of a thing to have, nor would some extra company on the long walk to school. Also, it would give her some time to regroup herself— she really couldn't afford to let her strong grip on life slip, especially when everything was going do well. She had a steady job, she had good friends, she had good grades and had a good chance of becoming captain of the soccer team. Becoming irresponsible— like being late and forgetting basic school supplies— would make these good things go away. She couldn't have that— she needed to refocus. "I could do with the company."

Miguel smiled at her words, his mood brightening drastically as the two began to walk. He'd been dreading the first day of school, but he's already made a friend and he hasn't even left the parking lot. "Cool. So I see you're a Yankee fan? New Yorker, I'm guessing?"

Alex nodded pridefully. While she didn't have some of the best memories of her hometown, she really did love the city. She missed it often. "Yeah, I just moved here a few years ago. Was it my accent that gave it away, or the jersey?"

Miguel chuckled lightly, "Little bit of both? Can't say I'm a fan, though. The Dodgers is where it's at."

The boy had pulled lightly on his own shirt, showing off the Dodgers logo with a smirk on his face. Alex groaned, shaking her head with a scowl, "Ugh, nope. Just ruined any chance at a friendship with me, bucko."

"Really?" asked Miguel with a frown, a small pout forming as he stopped walking, giving the girl a worried look. He didn't want to lose the one friend he'd just gained. Alex, however, laughed at his expression. Grabbing his hand and pulling him forward to catch up, she bumped their shoulders together.

"Dude, I'm kidding. I live in California now, basically all my friends are Dodgers fans. I'm used to it," she admitted, shrugging. "Most of the time I wear this jersey just to make them mad."

"Oh," said Miguel, his cheeks tinting pink in embarrassment as he laughed with her. "Well, I'm glad you weren't serious. I could use all the friends I can get."

"Same," she draws out, making the boy laugh even harder. Soon, the two were a hysterical laughing fit as they stumbled down the sidewalk like a bunch of drunk fools.

Only about ten minutes later, the school came in sight right around the corner, making Miguel and Alex jump in excitement like they were idiots. They may have only known each other for a short while, but their friendship was already strong and chaotic— which was obviously the best kind of friendships. Alex tried not to get her hopes up, though, because it was only a matter of time before he finds out about her dad and hears the rumors. Maybe he was just like all of those other potential friends— nice, but not nice enough to stick around and become friends with someone who has the blood of a killer.

But maybe, just maybe, he was different. And if so, she might just have a new friend.

a/n: hello! just wanted to say happy new years to everyone even though it is kind of late. my plan was to update yesterday, but my something came up and long story short, I had to call an ambulance for my grandma and I was at the hospital for while. I'm at my friend's house now because I'm not allowed to stay at the hospital and I can't exactly be at home alone. but yeah, I thought I should let you know that I'm going to try to update on Fridays and I might update twice some weeks and if I do it'll be on the either the weekend or early in the week. good night/ good morning, and I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!:)