Poinsettia

Red blotched into view. The paint was freshly dried and the smell still tingled the senses. 

Sin stared dazed at having just woken up. Lone thoughts knocked into each other in his head yet he didn't take the time to process and think them over. He did know for sure, even if he wanted to deny it...

He had died.

The red formed into shape and he finally remembered what it was, a poinsettia. It looked nothing of the sort, the painting as messy as the person who created it. He once thought it was something to cherish, but now he felt a pang in his chest and dark anger rolled upon his emotions.

He forced his eyes shut with a clench to his jaw. His stupor was broken by a hum beyond the wall of red. It was slow and had a nice vocal to it, very familiar. Sin tensed and his eyes widened. He sat up lethargically but he could feel nothing but shock. His brain was mixing things up, he wanted to go see if this was real, if she was here, if he were here. 

The door slid open before he even had time to lift his head.  

A startled gasp resounded and Sin felt a sinking in his gut. He knew who was there, but he was confused, he still hadn't yet processed how he was even alive. 

"Sin what happened to your hair!?"

There was a pounding in his head and his ears rang. He didn't hear what she had said, all that came to mind was that he was in a room with his murderer and betrayer. He looked up and there she was. Just as if he had seen her yesterday she stood with her hair sprawled out if not a little younger than when he last saw her.

"Sin?" She said a little louder after getting no response. 

Sin swayed but then held firm in his posture, "Wha," he began to say but realized his throat was so dry and hoarse he could barely whisper a word. His lips thinned and he cautiously stood up with the woman still at the door. She had covered her mouth in what appeared to be fright and confusion. 

He didn't know how to control himself and the emotions that demanded the face before him to wither in pain. He wanted to kill her. Sin pointed harshly behind the door, his every movement yelling at her to get out. She flinched and hesitantly slid the door closed, leaving Sin as she fled.

His legs were shaky and he wore nothing but a light sleepwear cloth. He could only take a few steps before he crashed into the vanity but held himself up with frail arms. He took panicked breaths and started to gather his spirit to calm himself down. Eventually, he could breathe evenly and his limbs relaxed. But there was a big gap in his cultivation.

How was that possible!? He had been close to breaking into the seventh stage and now he was a mere second stage. His brows furrowed in vexation and he looked at the bronze mirror that showed like a full moon on the vanity.

White. It was as if the world wanted him to cough blood. From the roots of his hair to the long silky length that covered his shoulders in a curtain, his hair was unnaturally white. But like the mystery of the morning and the ones that still surprised him, Sin could only bite his lip and clench his fists. 

"Sin," the woman uttered his name behind the door.

Sin snapped toward the voice and couldn't help but feel a shake of his heart. He had to get out of here. He began rushing all around the room filling a sack with his saved money and clothing. He changed into a light blue robe and made sure he got everything before rushing out of the room. 

To his surprise, the woman stood at the wall and appeared just as surprised to see Sin, but her concern lay in his clothes, bag, and rushed demeanor. 

"Sin what's going on!?" She practically yelled at him looking up and down at his appearance.

Sin didn't waste time with her and instead drank the water from their reserves he got from the river near here. 

When he was done he let out a sigh feeling refreshed. "I'm going away Clara, for good," he told her, his speech laced with poison and a red glint in his eyes. Clara was going to protest, Sin could tell but he didn't stop in his movements and left quickly. He needed to go to town and catch a wagon.

Clara did follow him but he ignored her until she started bawling. Eventually, she stopped following and that's when Sin knew even if it wasn't clear enough already, she didn't love him.

She just wanted him to cultivate enough so she can illegally extort his cultivation stages for herself. That method was so frowned upon and hard to achieve that it rarely even occurred.

He was unlucky. But he hoped with this new life he could gain a bit of luck.

[Edited]