Thirty-One || Loving You

Start from the beginning

The blonde blinked twice before smiling weakly. "Other than telling me to eat styrofoam and shaking an angry fist at me, no."

A sigh of relief left my lips as he answered my question. I asked him what exactly I did while I was drunk but he refused to answer in detail.

We decided to go for breakfast together. This time at an outside cafe rather than the extravagant dining room back at our current home. My head cleared up greatly and I felt better, but I lowkey promised myself to never touch another alcoholic drink ever again.

After noon, we walked around the city, just like we did a week ago. There was never a moment of silence inbetween Kurapika and I, we talked and talked and talked. There didn't have to be a set subject to speak about because everything we said would lead into another subject. It never got boring with him.

We found ourselves discussing my hand mirror as we sat at the town's river. The two of us sat together right on the embankment, it was so steep that our feet barely grazed over the water.

"Out of everything- all the ancient relics and jewels- you chose a hand mirror." Kurapika raised an eyebrow smugly. "Narcissism much."

I nudged him jokingly as he made fun of my choice. "Like I told you a thousand times, it was cute! Besides, you say that as if buying a pocket watch was completely normal." I retorted.

He looked away shyly before reaching into his coat pocket and took out the circular metal. "A watch is more normal than a mirror, idiot."

Furrowing my eyebrows, I took the watch from his hands. He didn't stop me as I fiddled the heavy metal. Suddenly the lid popped open, startling me. "Have you never opened an old pocket watch before?" He asked, laughing when I jumped out of surprise.

"No." I spat back before turning my attention back to the inside of the antique. To my surprise, there was an engravement on the inside of the inside of the watch. More specifically, it was a date: ' 4 - 4 - 82 '

[Reminder that HXH is set in 1999 and this chapter takes place sometime in the year 2000 since it's been one year since the hunter exam and thus one year since the beginning of the series. Kurapika is not an old man. He is 18. Same as the reader.]

I looked up to Kurapika to see him already looking at me. "Fourth of April, nineteen eighty-two." I muttered. "Is that..."

"My birthday." He finished my sentence. I giggled and asked why he engraved his birthday into the watch. He sighed with a small smile and kept his gaze focused on the water splashing the bottom of his leather shoes. "When I was born, my father etched the date onto his favourite pocket watch. He gave it to me as a gift on my ninth birthday, I can recall thinking it was the most interesting thing in the world and then spending the following days reading about pocket watches and how they function," The blonde laughed to himself as he shook his head lightly at the memory. "I lost it, along with everything else that I owned, when the Phantom Troupe attacked. When I saw this watch at that old woman's store, it reminded me of my father. That's why I bought it and engraved this date on it, just like he did."

He looked back at me solemnly. His face was calm and composed but his eyes spoke otherwise. Oh, those eyes, I had stared into them so many times and yet they never failed to pull me in.

Smiling, I put my frail hand on top of his. He looked down at the pavement where our hands lay together, but said nothing as I stroked my thumb across his bony knuckles.

Turning his view back to the afternoon sun, Kurapika sighed. I did the same, turning my head to feel the warm sun right on me. "I've learned to love the sun, and I love it with a warm love for the things of earth." He said before pausing. I looked to him to see him looking right at me with kind eyes, "Warm, that's what you are. I had never known how much I loved the earth, the sun, the sea- people, things, even art- until I got to experience it all with you."