Chapter 36: Samael

By the next morning, Cha Dal-geon had done the thinking he needed to do and was ready for action.

He called Go Haeri at six.

"Waeee?" she said grumpily when she picked up the phone, still half asleep.

"Wake up, sleepy-head," Dal-geon said briskly. "You have a busy day ahead of you."

"You know I have a gun, right?" she growled. His Haeri was not a morning person.

"Ne, but you'll have to get out of bed if you want to shoot me," he pointed out.

She muttered a rather unladylike suggestion as to what he could do with himself and his early morning phone calls.

"That's a fine thing to say to the man who just got a major break in the biggest case of your career," he chided her.

"You found something?"

"I did indeed."

"What is it?"

"You need to come to the office right away. I'll tell you about it then."

"Need I remind you that I'm your boss? I'm the one who gets to decide where and when communication occurs. Just tell me now, palli palli."

"No can do. But I can tell you that it's big."

"How big?" she demanded.

"Really big. Jeongmallo."

"Tell me!"

He paused for dramatic effect. "I have a name."

He heard the rustle of bed clothes as she sat bolt upright in bed. "You have a name?"

"Ne."

"Edward Park's name?" she double-checked.

"I believe so, yes."

"What is it? What's the name?"

"Come to the office and I'll tell you," he said, and hung up.

__________

To his surprise, Tae-ung and Hwa-sook beat Haeri into the office, arriving within moments of each other.

"Timjangnim called us," Tae-ung informed him, off Dal-geon's surprised look. It was very early, after all.

"Did you really find out Edward Park's name?" Hwa-sook asked.

"Ne," Dal-geon told her. "I think so, anyway."

"So what is it?" she asked eagerly.

He shook his head. "I'll give you the whole story once everyone's here."

Hwa-sook looked disappointed, but unsurprised. "Arasso."

"Did you guys find anything new yesterday?" Dal-geon asked.

"We found out An Minguk was definitely having an affair with Hong Mi-do," she told him. "His widow is still alive and she told us he confessed the affair to her a few years after it happened. He left out the part where he killed her, though. She didn't know anything about that."

Haeri showed up then with Se-hun in tow.

"What kept you?" Dal-geon demanded.

"We had to stop on the way," Haeri responded, shooting an annoyed look at Se-hun, who was devouring a breakfast sandwich from a fast food establishment as he walked.

"Mianhae!" Se-hun said around mouthful of his breakfast sandwich. "I was hungry."

"Never mind," Haeri said impatiently. "What did you find out, Dal-geonssi?"