28: A Snake's Point of View

Start from the beginning

 A slightly stunned silence greeted the end of this speech, then Ronsaid, "One person can't feel all that at once, they'd explode." 

"Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn'tmean we all have," said Hermione nastily.

 "She was the one who started it," said Harry. "I wouldn't've — shejust sort of came at me — and next thing she's crying all over me — Ididn't know what to do —" 

"Don't blame you, mate," said Ron, looking alarmed at the verythought.

"You just had to be nice to her," said Hermione, looking up anxiously. "You were, weren't you?" 

"Well," said Harry, an unpleasant heat creeping up his face, "I sortof — patted her on the back a bit."

 Hermione looked as though she was restraining herself from rollingher eyes with extreme difficulty. I didn't try to resist. I rolled my eyes. 

 "Well, I suppose it could have been worse," Hermione said. "Are you going to see her again?" 

"I'll have to, won't I?" said Harry. "We've got D.A. meetings,haven't we?" 

"You know what I mean," said Hermione impatiently. 

"Oh well," said Hermione distantly, "you'll have plenty of opportunities to ask her. . . ." 

"What if he doesn't want to ask her?" said Ron, who had beenwatching Harry with an unusually shrewd expression on his face. 

"Don't be silly," said Hermione vaguely, "Harry's liked her for ages,haven't you, Harry?"

"Well, we better leave" I sighed checking my watch "5 minutes to 9. Night."

For the first time since the term I had no homework, and was able to curl up against Draco, who was writing a Transfiguration essay with my favourite book . Which was, in case you care, "The Complete Novels of Sherlock Holmes." I love a good murder-mystery. 

Wizards have fascinating books on every subject, but this book with all it's sheer logic gives me a break from everyday craziness. 

I mean, if one man get so much out of the word "RANCE" then it really goes to show that there are clue everywhere if one looks for it. And I also shared Holmes's hatred for politics,given the Ministry's propaganda. 

I bid everyone goodnight at around 10'o clock. It was an overall normal day, but my dream was far from normal. 

My body felt smooth, powerful, and flexible. I was gliding between shining metal bars, across dark, cold stone. . . . I was flatagainst the floor, sliding along on my belly. . . . It was dark, yet I could see objects around me shimmering in strange, vibrant colors.. . . 

I was turning my head. . . . At first glance, the corridor wasempty . . . but no . . . a man was sitting on the floor ahead, his chindrooping onto his chest, his outline gleaming in the dark. . . . 

I put out my tongue. . . . I tasted the man's scent on the air.. . . He was alive but drowsing . . . sitting in front of a door at the endof the corridor . . . 

I longed to bite the man . . . but I must master the impulse.. . . I had more important work to do. . . .But the man was stirring . . . a silvery cloak fell from his legs as hejumped to his feet; and 

I saw his vibrant, blurred outline towering above him, saw a wand withdrawn from a belt. . . . I had nochoice. . . . I reared high from the floor and struck once, twice,three times, plunging my fangs deeply into the man's flesh, feeling hisribs splinter beneath my jaws, feeling the warm gush of blood. . . .