Five only huffed in reply, his hand pressing Thea's head closer to his body to quieten her. Thea let him, knowing that she'd won that round. Five always evades replying when he's flustered.

After a while of silence, Thea spoke up again, knowing the boy wasn't actually asleep. Not anymore. "Are you going to ask him today?"

"Him?"

"Don't play stupid, it doesn't suit you," Thea replied dryly, moving back so that she could look right at Five. The boy could never lie to her when forced to stare right into her eyes. "I know you're going to ask Dad to time-travel."

Five didn't reply straight away and looked at her, as though judging how much he could say. "It looks like you already know the answer." 

His arm tightened around her waist. His scent was all around her, on his pillow and his sheets, and Thea felt a little overwhelmed from it all. She pushed her face back into the crook of his neck, unable to stop her face from shifting.

"What's up?" he asked, sensing her discomfort. Thea remained silent and Five ran a hand through her hair in a comforting motion. "Z, speak to me."

"You can't leave for too long." Her voice was muffled and her lips sent vibrations across his neck, causing goosebumps to rise. "I won't let you."

"Who says I'll be leaving you?" Five asked. He pursed his lips like he didn't want to say his next words. "Besides, I might not be able to do it."

A giggle cut off his self-doubt and Thea pulled back from snuggling into his neck to stare him in the eyes. Their faces were close enough that Five could see himself reflected in her clear, blue eyes.

"You don't sound much like the smug, cocky, over-confident Five I know." He snorted at her words, rolling his eyes. "Was that supposed to be a complement? Because I sure am not feeling the love right now, Z."

Thea hummed and, staring at the boy for a moment; eyes tracing over his high cheekbones and the darkness of his lashes – the way in which the light from the window spilt in through the small parting of curtains to send a sliver of light across his golden skin – she was momentarily caught off guard, her throat feeling tight for reasons she couldn't be sure. 

"You know I love you, right?" she heard herself ask.

Five stared back, silent. He blinked languidly, their faces close enough that she could almost feel his eyelashes flutter. "I love you, too. But you know that, don't you?" 

Thea didn't reply, she wasn't sure she could.

There was a heavy atmosphere in the room that felt oppressive. It was too warm and suddenly Thea felt a little uncomfortable being wrapped within so many covers, their shared body heat causing her skin to burn from over-sensitivity.

"I know," she finally said, her voice barely audible even in the morning silence. "You're not allowed to leave me, Five. I don't think I could survive this place without you."

"Don't say that around Klaus," Five said with a slight smirk.

He'd noticed the heavy atmosphere that had descended between them and recognised her discomfort. The boy understood more than she realised, but with that knowledge came the understanding that Thea wasn't ready to face the reality of their situation. Of their feelings. Five had made peace with that and would wait for her to realise the truth in her own time.

After all, they had the rest of their lives ahead of them.

Thea opened her mouth to argue back but both of their heads shot towards the door at the gruff male voice that echoed throughout the academy. Thea's face instantly screwed into a grimace at the sound of their father's voice and Five's eyes tightened. "Let's go."