Awakening

THUMP

Your head bounced painfully against a hard floor.
Ouch.
Slightly disoriented, you attempted to observe your surroundings.

You were in a room - an unfamiliar bedroom.

———————

———————

"So..."

A low, drawling voice cut the silence. Your heart leaped to your throat in response.

Poised upon a desk, a sly looking male smirked down at you.
You swore he wasn't there a second ago.
He chuckled at your shocked appearance, crossing his arms against his chest. Weirdly, he looked slightly transparent. You could see cluttered books and paper behind him.

"Who..." You were at a loss of words.
Where are you?
Who is this guy?
What is going on?
"Slow down that brain, sweet cheeks." The male walked forward to crouch infront of your kneeling form. To your utter disbelief, a long cats tail unfurled from behind him, swishing to curl around his feet. A pair of matching black ears completed the look, locked forward attentively.
"You wanna know what's going on right?" He drawled. To add to the strangeness of it all, the man seemed to have an almost ethereal 'glow' about him.

"Well,  to start things off... You're dead."
"..."
What?

"You died in your sleep... Not a particularly heroic death, I'm afraid..." He produced a foxy grin, choosing to prop his chin on his palm - elbow rested on his thigh. His tail flicked outwards, brushing the cold skin of your trembling fingers.

"In... my sleep?" You were mortified.

"You had a cute sleep-death face if that makes you feel any better." He winked.

An icy wave of dread capsized your stomach.

"I'm Kuro, your official guardian spirit. And I'm here to help you with your next life." He puffed his chest out lightly like he was proud of himself, yellow eyes gleaming with pride.
"I'm... dead." Your wide eyes dropped to floor, lost in shock.
"We've established that, doll face. Now, about your next life-"
"I'm dead. Oh shit- I'm actually- I'm..." You threw your head into your hands, fingers tangling in the strands.
This couldn't be happening...
You felt like you were hyperventilating, unable to take a fulfilling breath.
You didn't feel dead.
Nevertheless, there was currently a glowing-transparent-feline-male in front of you and honestly... that was convincing enough.

You paused.
The hair in your hands felt foreign.
Shooting to your feet, you yanked your hands into your line of sight.
They didn't look like your hands.

Taking a quick glance around, you noticed a small stick on mirror next to the entrance door and quickly stumbled towards it.
"You should really let me explain first!" Kuro chimed, looking way too smug.
You raced to the mirror, a hunch spurring you on...