Chapter 8

"How is it at school right now? You're new, aren't you?" Asked one of the policemen. 

 "I guess it's good, yeah I'm new." 

 "That was not how you thought your first day would end, was it?" 

 "No, not really." 

 "I heard from your mother that you do not usually drink, but still you come home drunk and full of blood, it looks very suspicious." 

 "It was the first time I wanted to prove that I was not a softy because I had no friends at my previous school that I went to and I guess I just wanted to fit in a way a never had before." 

 "How do you explain the blood?".

"I was just trying to help him." 

 "Are you sure?". 

"Yes...", I replied in a panic. 

 "He was stabbed in the stomach, you were the only one who had blood all over you and the knife was right next to you where you were sitting. We have your fingerprints on the murder weapon and that explains everything ". 

 Knife-cut ?, I thought to myself when could that have happened because I sat there all the time if I do not remember that it has happened, then it really does not look good for me because then I have no evidence that it was not me. 

 "Have you not heard that you can be falsely accused". 

 "Yes, we have, but we have witnesses who say otherwise." 

 "What about witnesses?" 

 "It does not matter". 

 "It matters a lot, because they just protects him." 

 "Who are they to protecting?" 

 "Leon". 

 "No that can not be true, he would never." 

 "You think you know someone, but you find out the truth and then it is not as beautiful." 

 "What are you talking about?". 

"They quarreled over me and then it escalated."One of the policemen became completely silent as if she knew I was right but said nothing and just let it run out of the sand, they knew each other and she tried to protect him it must be so... 

 "Why would they quarrel about you, then?" 

 "Because I think they both liked me and I was so stupid I did not understand it at first.""

No, it's not easy when you and your witnesses say otherwise." 

 "Why does no one listen to what I say ?, it just tries to protect him", I replied annoyed. 

 "We listen but you look very suspicious and we can not just let that go." 

 "If you do not want to listen to what I saying or believe in me, there is nothing I can do." 

 "It's not about what we want, but what the truth says and it says you look very  much guilty."

 "Can I go home?".

There was another policeman knocking on the window where we were sitting and waving them out, "wait here we are coming soon", they said before going out. 

 "Tessa, why did you lie to me?" Mother asked disappointed. 

 "Because I wanted to fit in and make friends for once." 

 "You have a lot of friends, you have said that several times." 

 "I said that because so you would not worry about me so much, I thought you understood because I always hang out at home, either with you or in my room." 

 "I understand but you should never change yourself to make friends it is not right and you know it."

 "I know it now ..." 

 "Why did you have blood  all over you and my where drunk in the first place? What really happened?" 

 "What really happened was... just like I said it happened, I ended up in between a drama that I should have stayed away from." 

 "I believe you because you could never do such a thing and I know it." 

 "Then you are the only one because everyone thinks I am guilty".

"Do not say so, we just have to prove them otherwise." 

 "It's easier said than done." 

 "As long as you stay away from problems, it is not so difficult to prove your innocence," my lawyer replied. 

"Yes, maybe ...", I replied uncertainly. 

 The other cops came into the room again and they looked very mysterious and I immediately became very worried because I thought they had received more evidence that I was guilty. I panicked a bit because all I wanted was for this day to be over so I could go back to my normal life. "Ordinary life" I thought to myself I will never be able to see it that way anymore after all this. They went and sat down again and the atmosphere in the room became completely quiet and the panic became bigger and bigger, my heart beat harder that I could believe that they were hearing it because the beat was so hard. 

"You will be released at the moment," said one of the police officers to break the silence.I looked at them in shock because it felt like they was just joking with me to mind fuck, once I realized that it was not a joke, the lump that I had in my stomach disappeared and the belief that I had that everything just will get worse slowly disappeared too. It immediately started to feel much better. 

 "Huh ?, is that true ?, you were so sure it was me who killed him". 

 "Yes, it's true and no we were not sure but you were the one who looked most suspicious."

 "Same thing but what was it that changed  your thoughts?". 

 "Another witness" 

 "Who?". 

"We can not say that but we will keep an eye but you do not have to sit in jail anymore". 

 "That is something good at least," I replied, laughing.

They just looked at me and it made it pretty tough  I took my things and was going home. It felt good even if I had only been here for one day but I was not completely free yet because they said I was not allowed to leave the country or go anywhere because they still monitored me as if I were a criminal. It was not that much fun I thought but it was at least better than sitting in a prison cell...