Happy birthday Kenma

Start from the beginning

Would it be childish if he used the 'it's my birthday' card on her?

He groans at the childish thought. If she declined, he shouldn't let it get to him. She's a busy woman after all.

Chewing his bottom lip, Kozume stops at a red light. He reaches for his phone, thumb hovering over her contact. Anxiety fills his entire body and it paralyzes him from calling her. Forcing his eyes shut, he lowers his phone back down.

He'll try again after the next red light.

Or that's what he told himself anyway.

🏐・゚゚・。.

To his surprise, Kozume sees Kuroo waiting outside in his car out front of the driveway. Kozume pulls up beside him and turns his engine off. Stepping out of the car, Kozume looks at Kuroo with a raised eyebrow.

"How did you get here so fast?"

"I was actually already on my way here when I called you." Kuroo grins mischievously. "Since you want to stay in, should we invite your parents over? I'm sure they'd like to spend the remainder of your birthday with you."

"No, they're probably tired from their work today. I can always celebrate tomorrow with them." Kozume locks his car and quietly walks up to the front door. Kuroo shrugs and follows behind him. "Did you ever call Y/N?"

Kozume shakes his head. He inserts his house key in the lock but finds it already unlocked. Knitting his brows together, he grows anxious.

Did he leave his door unlock all day?

The neighborhood isn't one with many burglaries so he shouldn't stress as much but he clearly remembers locking it this morning.

"Something wrong with the door? Did you forget how to use your keys?" Kuroo pokes fun of Kozume. Kozume blankly stares at Kuroo, shaking his head. He pushes his nervous thoughts aside and opens the door. He flicks on the light and a loud unison shout of 'surprise' takes him off guard.

With eyes wide and his heart shaken up, the color in his face pales over.

Several familiar faces stand in front of him with poppers and balloons.

Y/N stands at the front foyer with an apple pie and the number 28 candle inserted in the middle. "Happy birthday Kenma." She wears a delicate smile and it's impossible for his heart not to waver in response.

"Make a wish Kenma." His parents egg him on as they watch from the island counter. Kuroo's and Y/N's parents also chant for him to make a wish and to blow out the candles. He grows embarrassed from their adamancy.

"Guy's you're stressing him out." Kuroo eyes the parents with a glare and a grin. They laugh among each other and silence their cheers.