I.

~~~

~~~

"Go for it Saito!"

I had tunnel vision, the only thing on my mind being the outline of the keeper, silhouetted against the net.

But I saw her then. The last defender. A lone knight remaining to guard the kingdom I seeked beyond. I could see the determination etched across her features.

I will wipe that look clean off your face. I'll crush you. I'll make you bow before me...

"Saito! Siato, here! I've got a clear shot!"

Where there was once one option, now there were two. Chihiro Yamamoto was on my left, sprinting at the perfect angle into open space before the goal. By passing it, the fate of that moment would no longer rest upon my shoulders. I would put all of my trust onto the backs of my teammates.

But no. There were never two options. There was only ever one, and I took it then. A feint to my left as if I'm passing the ball to Yamamoto, and a quick touch back to my right. The defender is left in the dust and it's just me and the keeper. I see she has the same fiery look upon her face that the defender did.

Not for long.

As she stepped off the line towards me, I knew I'd won. A finessed shot along the ground, right underneath of her hand, was all it took to decide the game.

There was a roar behind me as my teammates surged forward, dragging me down into a pile of limbs. I was breathless, my eyes never leaving those of the keepers as I watched her fall to her knees, a eulogy of despair written across her features. As a torrent of tears came cascading down her face, I knew in that moment, I'd never felt more alive.

"Saito, that was amazing!"

"We did it! We're going to nationals!"

"Nice one," Yamamoto said, holding out her hand to me.

I took it, allowing myself to be hoisted to my feet. "Thanks, Yamamoto." I gave her a smile. "That was a great run you had there."

"Jin!"

I turned towards the voice to find Ryosuke Kira, my best friend since grade school, waving me over from the sideline, a huge grin plastered across his face.

"I'll see you guys tomorrow at practice," I said, turning back to my teammates. "Good game."

A chorus of goodbyes trailed me as I jogged off the field. The second I set foot on the sideline, I was immediately enveloped in another hug.

"You were great out there, Jin! That goal was perfect!"

I laughed lightly. "Thanks Ryo. I didn't know you were coming today. Don't you have practice?"

"We finished early so I came as fast as I could! I got to see the tail end of the match. That goal was insane!" He praised, releasing me from his hold so I could gather my things.

I smiled in thanks as we began our walk home. "So how was it then? Your coach still being a pain in the ass?"

Ryo sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Yeah, he's gotten a lot tougher on us since nationals are just around the corner. But it's football," he said, eyes shining with life. "So it wasn't bad."

"That's good," I said, watching as the sun sank down to meet the mountain peaks in the distance. "I can't believe we're both finally going to nationals."

"It feels like it was just yesterday we were running around your backyard with footballs bigger than our heads." Ryo laughed, pulling me to his side as we walked.

I snorted with a grin. "Right. When you couldn't score a goal for shit? Yeah I remember that."

"Hey!" he cried indignantly, pushing me away from him with an accusing glare. I placed a hand over my mouth in an attempt to hide my laughter. "I wasn't that bad!"

"Yup," I chirped, rolling my eyes. "Keep telling yourself that, pretty boy."

"Why you little-"

Before he could finish, a loud buzz sounded from my pocket. Quickly pulling out my phone, I read the caller ID running across the screen.

"Coach Matsuo? Isn't he your coach for Washi" Ryo asked, reading the screen over my shoulder. "What's he calling for? It's not even club season yet."

"No clue," I shrugged, holding my index finger up to my lips, signaling Ryo to be quiet as I swiped to answer the call. "Hey Coach, what's up?"

"I've got some big news, Saito!" Ryo and I walked together in silence as I held the phone up to my ear, listening intently to my club coach. "I knew if there was anyone who deserved this chance, Saito, it was you."

I came to an abrupt stop, Ryo spinning around to face me, confusion taking over his features. But I couldn't focus.

There's no way this is real.

"They'll really allow it?" I asked, hope creeping into my voice as I tried to contain my excitement.

"I've already run everything over with the head trainer and manager. You're in, if you accept."

I was quiet for a few moments. This isn't something I can just pass up, I thought to myself. My eyes unconsciously focused upon a pair of small boys in the distance, kicking a football around on the sidewalk. What is there to even think about?

"Yes," I said, finally. "Yes, of course I accept. Thank you so much Coach Matsuo!"

"No problem, kid. I know you'll do great at Blue Lock."