{CHAPTER 15}

°

°

TIME WAS STANDING STILL. Or it simply felt that way for Thranduil as he never left his place on the ground nor did he let go of Rhaenyra's limp and sleeping body. Drogon remained close and constantly shielded them from view. The great dragon tensed up when the Great Eagles of Arda swept over Ravenhill and entered the fray in the nick of time for the second part of Azog's army had just come, led by his son Bolg. 

Even while he was confined to the ground by his injured wing, Drogon's massive form was enough to scare away any stray stragglers from the orc army and those who dared wander too close were swiftly incinerated by bright red flames. Thranduil didn't flinch as Drogon took care of the orcs, he remained on the ground with Rhaenyra's head in his lap, patiently waiting for her to wake again and open her beautiful purple eyes. Through the power coursing through Narya, her wound had also started to completely close up, leaving behind dried blood which Thranduil sadly could not wash away. However, the feeling of her heart still beating and seeing her chest rise and fall in time with her breathing, assured Thranduil that she was still alive and kept him sane. 

After the battle had subsided, for a long time all that Thranduil could hear was the soft and at times pained growls emitted by Drogon. When the tone of his growls changed, Thranduil's head snapped up from constantly watching Rhaenyra's face and tried to catch a glimpse of what could have angered the Winged Shadow. However, Drogon's irritated growls swiftly changed into purrs, and he began to slowly shift his stance to reveal Thranduil and Rhaenyra underneath him. 

It was Gandalf and Bilbo cautiously walking towards them, closely followed by a band of elves dressed in armour Thranduil could not recognize, along with a female elf with hair similar to Rhaenyra's and with an ethereal glow around her entire body... was this the Lady Galadriel?

Once the small group of people were close enough Thranduil recognized more of their faces, both Lord Elrond and Lord Glorfindel of Rivendell were among them. 

"Is the Queen alive?" Glorfindel spoke fast, breaking free from the group and jogged up to Thranduil, no fear of Drogon and the dragon let him approach without complaining, understanding they were around allies and friends. 

Thranduil nodded, "Thanks to Narya she lives, but the Black Arrow..." Ge gestured with a nod of his head towards Drogon's injured shoulder where the weapon was still deeply lodged.

"I will take care of it." Glorfindel spoke, watching Drogon prepare a new stance to allow them a clearer view of his shoulder and leaned closer to the ground as much as his wound allowed, "Gandalf, some help, please?"

While Gandalf and Glorfindel discussed on how to best remove the Black Arrow without worsening the wound, Lord Elrond and Lady Galadriel approached Thranduil.

The Lady of Lothlórien fell down to her knees beside Thranduil, the hand on which she wore her own Ring of Power, Nenya, clutched Rhaenyra's hand where Narya rested.