Chapter 5

Lisbon was the first to awake, shivering on a cold, empty bed. Using the small soft light filtering in through the blinds, she looked for Jane but couldn’t find him. She draped the soft blanket around her shoulders and slipping on her plush slippers, she padded down the stairs slowly, fearing what she might find. She entered the kitchen, and what she saw surprised her. Patrick was holding a cup of tea in his hands, looking out into the white, blocked window, but what made her heart falter was the glimmering butcher’s knife twirling in his hands. He turned to her, and upon seeing the fear in her eyes, he looked at her apologetically.

“I’m sorry, Teresa,” he said softly, placing the teacup on the table, and creeping closer to her, “I really am. I’ve grown attached to you, but I have to… I always kill the people I care about, one way or the other, and this is a way for me not to become broken again… you understand.”

She couldn’t move, her feet felt like lead, she seemed as if she was held captive by the beautiful stranger holding the knife in his hands like a prize. She started to breathe heavily, and felt tears streaming down her cheeks. All she could croak out was, “Please, Patrick, don’t,” before he grabbed her shoulder. He kissed her softly before plunging the knife through her chest.

Lisbon bolted up in bed, her heart thundering and her breathing erratic. She wiped at her face to find tears coming out of the corners of her eyes. She fell back in bed and looked at Jane’s sleeping form. She sighed deeply, thankful it was all a dream, but she was still breathing heavily from the memories still vibrant in her mind. She stood slowly, softly, not wanting to wake him and slipped into the shower to try to drive out the nightmare from her memories. When she almost drove it out, she heard the sheets ruffling from the bedroom and knew that Jane had woken up. She shut off the water and reached for the towel when he knocked on the door softly.

His voice was filled with concern as he asked, “Are you all right?”

She knew he meant about why she was awake in the middle of the night. She sighed before answering, “Yeah, I just had a nightmare.”

“Want to talk about it?”

“Not particularly,” she replied before fixing herself and saying, “Yes, can…” she sighed before continuing, “can you meet me in the living room?”

“Sure,”

She sighed again softly as she heard his steps walking away. She hated herself for having that dream, thinking that he could hurt her without cause or concern, but she hated herself for fearing him a little because of it. She cursed under her breath and dressed quickly, not wanting to keep him waiting. She walked down the stairs and smiled when she found him holding a cup in one of his hands and the book from yesterday in the other. She picked up the cup he had placed for her on the coffee table and sat down next to him as she sipped. She sighed peacefully as the warm liquid traveled down her throat and relaxed her racing nerves. He put down the book and wrapped his free arm around her, pulling her closer to him. She smiled and cuddled into him, as she felt him kiss the top of her head.

“So, about the nightmare?” he asked softly, “Care to tell me what happened?”

“I, um, I woke up and you weren’t by my side.” She explained, cuddling deeper into him, “I walked down the stairs and found you in the kitchen.”

Jane pulled her close and kissed the top of her head when he felt her tense up at the memory. “I’m guessing that’s not all?”

Lisbon shook her head softly, cuddling closer before saying, “You were holding a butcher’s knife… You sort of, plunged it into my heart.” She whispered, fearing his reaction.

He pulled back to look her in the eyes and, upon seeing them glimmering with unshed tears, he kissed her softly. She breathed sharply, surprise evident in her motions and kiss. He smiled into the kiss, and after he was sure she was confident he wasn’t going to hold it against her, he stood, took her hand, and helped her up. He started to lead her away and into the kitchen, when he felt her slight hesitation.

“Where’re we going?” she asked him softly, although she knew the answer.

“I want to relieve you of that particular situation of us in the kitchen, and the only way to do that is to replace it.” He spoke suggestively, his voice ragged with need and emotion.

She blushed, looking away, hearing his voice raw. She smiled as she looked back at him and replied innocently, “Oh? And what are you planning on replacing it with?”

He chuckled softly before catching her lips with his. He pulled her close, and walked backwards into the kitchen, one hand pulling her with him on the small of her back while the other was behind him, searching for anything he could use to steady them. Finally, his hand met the table and he smiled into the kiss as he turned her so that she was pressed awkwardly against the table and in one swoop, he picked her up and set her down. He broke the kiss then, to smile at her, making sure she was okay. He started unbuttoning her shirt while she ran her hands through his hair. When he finished, he pushed open her shirt, he let his hands and lips explore every inch of her torso, smiling at how his touch caused her to react.  He kissed her lips again, as he helped her shrug out of her shirt, his hand roaming her back, pulling her closer, as the other started on her jeans.

She shifted to help the rate of getting her out of clothes and as she started to unbutton and lower his jeans, she couldn’t help laughing as he said, “I think we should just spend the rest of our time here completely naked.”

“We’d freeze to death, love.” She muttered into his lips. He kissed her harder in a silent way of explaining why that was not going to happen. As soon as she slid down his pants and boxers, he pulled off his shirt, and joined their lips again. He smiled as he felt her gasp softly and started at a slow pace, wanting to ensure her that this was reality, that he wouldn’t dare hurt her, only love and protect her.

She placed her forehead on his shoulder as the pace quickened, her body arching and aching as he pulled back and buried himself deeper into her, again and again. She could feel the table creak and bang against the floorboards unsteadily. She turned her face to his neck and planted a kiss, as pure ecstasy rippled through her body. She could feel him trembling as he reached his climax and spilled into her. She smiled when he nuzzled her closer, and just when she was going to kiss him again, the leg of the table snapped, and he twisted them as they fell, breaking her fall.

“Are you okay?” she asked him.

He looked at her, making sure she was unharmed before smiling and kissing her again, “Better than okay.”

They started to laugh, until the lamp that had been illuminating them, and was wobbling when the table broke, smashed on the floor, sending them into darkness.

Jane kissed her, and when he felt her body start to become alive again in response to his, he turned them so that he was pinning her down onto the floor. He trailed kisses down her body as he took her once more.