Chapter 8, Surprise Attack

Kaliment yawned and opened his eyes. Blinking rapitdly to adjust to the bight sunlight. He sighed, while Simon, Isa and Amir were preparing fo a charge to weaking the castles defences here he was taking a nap. As annoyed as he was he couldn't help it. The baby was so demanding, and was growing rapidly. His back was killing him, his ankles swollen, he didn't get much sleep at night, and he was always hungry, not to mention hungry for strange things.

He gave a groan and looked to his belly, which was severly swollen, he could hardly see his feet anymore; Isa disagreed, she said he was considered lucky, even though his baby was a bit larger than most.

Suddenly the door open, and Kaliment rolled to his side, not knowing who it was. "Oh Kalli its okay, it's just me. You feeling any better?" Isa asked sitting next to him, his back to her.

Kaliment nodded, "Is the meeting over or can I still plan with Simon and Amir."

"Kalli don't get any ideas, you are not going on the raid tonight."

"Isa this isn't going to be a big battle, I have to go. People are starting to suspect somthing is up." Kaliment sat up with a stuggle then turned to face her.

Isa smiled and shook her head, putting hand on his stomach. He just sighed, "Its only a matter of time before it starts kicking."

"You just be happy with the fact you are not throwing up anymore, or collapsing on us."

Kaliment glared at her, she beamed, "Oh yea Kalli, I got you something."

He frowned at her, not replying as she scooted closer to him and pulled something out of her cape. It was a one piece baby outfit, a dark green color. She gave a laugh and put it on his swollen stomach. Kaliment groaned in annoyance and flopped on his back, to stare at the ceiling. "Really Isa? Really?"

"What, it's going to need clothing. Besides green can be for either gender." Isa replied giving his stomach a kiss, and then a pat, "I love you little baby." She laughed before flopping down to lay beside him.

"Isa, you don't have to do this." Kaliment replied looking at her, "This isn't your baby." He smiled admiring the outfit secretly, it would be adorable, especially if the baby was a little girl. Oh how he prayed the baby was. He without even realizing it had alwasy dreamed of a daughter, he wanted a baby girl so bad; now that he was pregnant even more. He admitted he would be devistated if the baby was a boy.

"I know, it's yours." Isa replied, snuggling next to him and laying an arm across his chest.

"Why Isa, why are you doing this? You don't have to. You are not a servant anymore."

" Because I love you Kaliment, and I want to always be here for you and the baby." Isa replied blushing. Kaliment just smiled, and rolled into her, kissing her forhead.

"What do you hope the baby is?"

"A girl." Isa smiled, patting his swollen stomach, making his smile grow wider.

"Isa," He sneered, "I am so going to have to take you on a date."

"That would be wonderful my king."

Kaliment kissed her, "You will make a wonderful queen Isa."

"I...." Isa was cut off, by loud screaming, and then an explosion that rattled the entire in they were in.

Kaliment looked up in fear, "Oh no, they got to us first." He replied heaving himself to his feet, stumbling to put on a cape, grab his gun, an two daggers.

Suddnly the door flew open, it was Simon, and Amir was at his side, "My king! You must flee!"

Kaliment frowned at them, a hand on his stomach, "Nonsense, its just a little skirmish."

Simon walked over, "My king, they got help. They have an army, the west coast people. It turns out, those suitors were invaders all along, not from our own fief. My king you have to run, before it's two late."

Kaliment leaned on the table and sighed his face a look of horror, then he shut his eyes, "I will die with you today. I will not leave any of you. It's my duty as a king, to not abandon his people."

"None of us are staying my king. We know we lost, were are only fighting long enough for you and the baby to get away."

Kaliment's eyes widened, and he looked to Simon who smiled, "My king it is quite obvious your pregnant. Now go, take Isa and Amir. The horses are ready."

Kaliment nodded, "You will come with us, Isa can not be our only source of protection."

Simon shook his head, "No my king I must lead the rebellion, to make sure you get away."

Kaliment shook his head, "No. You are leading no rebellion you all will flee."

"My king you staying alive is the most important thing. Without you there is no hope. Besides it's not right, you can not possibly fight you will put the baby in danger now go!" Simon cried, as the inn shook again and the window started to crack.

Kaliment shook his head, "I am not arguing with you anymore your are comming with us and that is final." Kaliment then slugged him in the face knocking him out. As Simon collapsed he picked him up and held him bridal style, "Go I will follow!" He shouted.

Isa nodded, grabbed Amir's arm and ran out, the floor falling in. She and Amir jumped it, but Kaliment couldn't he was after all carrying two people.Suddenly the floor broke even more and they disappeared from sight. Isa looked down, the first floor wasn't that far away....

"No!" Amir shouted, dragging her by the arm away from the sight. Together they dashed down the stairs, only to find their exit was blocked with rubble. Isa and Amir both began to panick, and dashed back up the stairs to where more of the floor fell in. Without warning, something broke through the window on the end, everything exploded, while she got sent flying into a wall knocked unconcious.