Prologue

Silence; the only thing filling the gloomy chamber in the left wing of Caledonia State Prison. Design-wise it looked as though it were a hospital room, yet it served a completely different purpose: bringing people's lives to an end. Or in this case, bringing Avalon Delacroix's life to an end.

Avalon's body was strapped to a metal gurney in the center of the room. It was lined with ankle and wrist restraints, restricting any movements whatsoever. All she could move was her gray eyes, which skimmed every corner of the dull place.

There was a glass panel across the room. Through that panel, she could see ten seats, two of which were taken. Her eyes widened in surprise as she looked up to the faces of the two bodies occupying these seats. The head of the government, Frederick Dominguez, was sat alongside Avalon's husband of two years, Cassian Miller.

Now, it was no surprise for Frederick to be present as he was the one who ordered the execution of all of Avalon's kind: the seraphim (the term all supernatural people went by). On the contrary, it would be even more shocking if he didn't attend considering how he's been gloating over the deaths of all the seraphim he has caught.

Cassian's presence was by no means a surprise as well since he was the only living member of Avalon's family. However, what had truly shocked her was the badge pinned to Cassian's black Saint Laurent suit. It was a badge handed to those who were second in command to the government head.

Being completely flustered, she continued to stare at the metal pin before it finally hit her: she was being used this whole time. Her blood boiled in anger as she ripped her eyes away from him. Did he ever love her at all? Perhaps he just wanted her dead from the very beginning.

Despite how crazy this sounded, it all started to make perfect sense to her. No mundane would dare to get married to a seraph unless they wished to receive a death sentence. However, Cassian never even hesitated when it came to Avalon.

"Just get this over with please," she sighed as she looked back up at the white ceiling.

The knot in her stomach began to grow as two members of the execution team approached her and swabbed both of her arms with alcohol. They proceeded to carefully insert two IV tubes into her skin.

"Any last words Mrs. Delacroix? This would be your last chance to make a statement to the witnesses," said one of the two.

Hot tears started to fill her eyes as she made eye contact with Cassian. She could see a hint of pain on his face and even a bit of guilt. "H-how could you," she muttered as her heart ached. He pursed his lips and said nothing in return. "This...this can't happen to X," she said shakily as she continued to gape straight into his eyes. All he gave her was a faint nod, which gave her some sort of relief.

She blinked her tears away and clung onto the thin mattress as the executor pushed the first button, sending the first drug into her veins. After she was confirmed to be unconscious, a dosage of a second drug was injected into the other arm in order to paralyze her muscles. The paralysis slowly spread throughout her body, limb by limb, eventually reaching her lungs. At this stage, Avalon was fully sedated and unable to breathe.

"Excuse me sir," Cassian said, attempting to maintain a calm tone, as he stood up from the black metal chair.

"Where are you going, we didn't even reach the best part yet," Frederick chuckled as he looked up to him.

"I...I can't watch this sorry," Cassian muttered, his voice breaking in the second half of the sentence. He walked out the door without looking back and a single tear slipped down his rose cheeks.

Frederick rested his chin on his hands as he fixed his eyes on Avalon's lifeless body. He smirked as the final button was pushed, sending the lethal drug: Potassium Chloride, up her veins. Avalon's heart started beating irregularly for a minute, before the heartbeats came to a halt.

The last seraph, Avalon Delacroix, was pronounced to be dead.