Chapter XXI - Her

Start from the beginning

In battles of the past, the queen took her time, fighting her way through, showing her strength as she made her way up to us. This time she wasted no time, taking every soldier that dared go against her, her gaze locked on us nearly the entire time. We did our best to show no fear, accepting the challenge as we met her in the middle of the battle.

"It's interesting." She started vaguely, "When I overtook this body, I received a bit of the leftovers. Memories, feelings and such. The human part of my offspring. The weak part." Peter and I gripped out swords tighter, not letting our guard down even for a second. She noticed our adjustments and spun her staff. "I know that you could never beat this body in training. What makes you think you can beat it now?"

"We could never beat Ash." Edmund spoke, understanding why Peter was choked up in front of an imposter of the girl he loves. "But you have been defeated and you will again. You'll be sent straight back to Tash."

"And I'll bring the traitor with me. I've been waiting for a family reunion." She chuckled, excitedly.

"Bitch." I growled.

"Speaking of traitors..." The witch angled her anger towards me.

Peter finally managed to produce three words. "Give her back."

"You sound just like her father." She scoffs, "I can never get it through either of your heads that you can't save her. You never could. Ashton was created for a greater purpose than this. At least her birth wasn't a complete waste now."

That tore my last strain of patience and I sprinted in a full speed attack, Edmund and Peter commiting to battle a few steps behind me. She sung, blocking my assault and returning with a slick that could have taken my eye out. Peter and Edmund worked together, swinging in sync so she had to use the staff and a sword to defend herself from them in front of her, leaving her with an open position in the back. I ran again, but at the last second she turned, both swords ready for my throw, I bailed, sliding on the ground so I wouldn't get impaled. I heard the screams of the two kings and the clash of their swords against hers. And then the next second I saw the White Witch standing over me, with the staff above her head. The boy's stopped, taking it as a warning that if they moved another inch she would force death upon me.

"Three on one and you still lost." Like she was disappointed with an uneventful fight. "Now you will pay the price for going against a Queen."

She raised her hands higher, gritting her teeth and preparing for my final sentence. I just locked at her, I knew I couldn't save myself now. I just focused on the part of her that I used to know and love. Not the spellbound blue eyes of her mother's that I saw looking down at me but nearly everything else. Ashton was family, real family for me. It made sense, I made a vow that I would be with her till the end. And now that she's not here, I don't know if I want to do this without her. I lost my sense of direction without her.

A second later, shock came across her features. She dropped the staff and screamed. She fell to her knees in the snow.

"Stop!" She screamed, clawing at her head. "Retreat! Now!"

The insurgents followed orders, turning around and running through the woods. She looked up, fear covering her green eyes. Ashton's eyes. Peter took a step forward, but she immediately jumped up.

"Don't!" She ordered, holding her hand out to keep a distance, "She could come back any second. I can't control her."

"Ash!" I shouted, getting to my feet.

She winced, smacked her head, screaming again. "She was going to kill all of you. I was going to kill all of you." Her back hit a tree and she slid down. Every inch of her shook, the clouds above our head densed and grew darker. "Please kill me. Please make it stop. I can't live like this!"