Chapter eleven:

School finished and as soon as I head out of the school gates, I walk further down the street, making sure to tell my parents that I'll be a bit late home due to "wanting to study"

"Okay, what do we need to do first?" I ask. She looks around. "We need to go to Wetland Avenue, the neighbourhood next to yours" she says. "Why did you go that way? You always go through mine" I ask. She shrugs. "It doesn't take as long" I roll my eyes.

We walk down to the street of the nicest houses. "Okay now, think Cam, do you remember anything?" I ask. She looks around. "I was on my phone, I was stood across the street to number 170" she assures me. I nod and we head down there, standing in the same place. "I was stood here, my shoelace had come untied and I tripped, then there was a man, he looked as if he was in his late 30s, dark hair, fair skin, he looked like a creep, but at the time, I didn't think much of it as he asked me if I was okay and helped me up, I can't remember anything else"

I check my phone. "I have a plan, follow me" I tell her. We walk up the the same house, it was a lovely one, quite big, grey bricks, it was my dream home. "Ave, what are you doing?" She asks, I ignore her and press the doorbell and after a few seconds of waiting, a woman with brown hair in a fancy todo, wearing a tight black dress answers the door, she was very pretty and young looking.

"Hello sweetheart, may I help you?" She asks, a warning smile on her face. "Yes ma'am my name is Avery Mitchell" I put my hand out for her to shake and she takes it. "Melissa Montgomery" she beams. "I was wondering if I could ask you some questions about my friend?" I ask.

"Yes of course, come on in" she says, opening the door more widely. I look around the house, it was like a cheaper kind of mansion, a clear theme of black and white theme. "Take a seat in the lounge; would you like a soda or something?" She asks. "Yes please ma'am, anything will do" I smile. She nods and heads in as I make my way into the luxurious lounge.

"What are you doing, loser, we need to leave" she whispers to me. I ignore her and cross my legs. "Here you are honey" she beams, handing me the can of Pepsi. I thank her and she sits down in front of me. "Now, what can I do for you?" She asks. "Okay so you might be aware of the fact a girl was murdered about a month ago?" I ask. She gulps and nods. "Yeah...it's so sad, a very pretty girl actually from the pictures, a tragic loss of life" she says, sipping her coffee.

I nod. "Yeah...she was my best friend" I say, looking down. "I'm sorry for your loss dear" she says to me. "Thank you" I tell her. She smiles at me. "Well the night she was killed, she walked down this street, and the person who killed her noticed her and saw her fall. She was stood across this house. I was wondering if you saw anything?" I ask.

She sighs. "I don't, I'm afraid that night I was out of town with my two children to visit my dying father. The best person for you to ask would be my husband. Jeffery. He had to stay here for some business" she says. I nod. I look around and Cameron is signalling for me to come upstairs.
"May I use your bathroom please ma'am? I haven't been all day and then maybe I could ask some more questions?" I ask.

"Of course, upstairs, door on the right, I'll be here" she smiles at me. I nod at her before leaving the lounge and walking up the stairs. "What is it? I was in the middle of a conversation" I grit my teeth. "Look" she points to a picture.

 "Look" she points to a picture

"That's him. That's the man who came out to get me. I'm starting to remember it now. He asked to walk me home and I said yes and we walked for a while. As we get closer to my house, I go to thank him and then he grabs my by the mouth, silencing my screams, he then kept a hand on me and shoved me into those woods where he grabbed a rock, hit me with it and he had a knife in his hand, and began to violently stab me and then... I died" she says.

My mouth was wide open. "Oh my god" was all I could say. "Go downstairs, ask some more questions and I'll have a look around the house, if I find anything, I'll grab it and leave." She tells me. I nod and walk down the stairs, trying to hold it together.

"Ah there you are" she smiles. I nod and take a seat. "I was wondering Mrs Montgomery...when does your husband return?" I ask. "The latest will probably be...tomorrow morning. Feel free to stop over after school" she assures me. I look at my phone and check the time. "Well, I best go, I'll come over tomorrow. It was lovely to meet you" I say. I hug the woman as she leads me to the door.

"What's the plan now then?" Cam asks, following me. "We're gonna take this son of a hitch down!"