Chapter Thirteen - Things Change

Regina

I woke up because of excruciating pain. I didn’t know what it was – but in the back of my head the pressure had gone worse and now it felt like somebody was stabbing me repeatedly. There was loud, high-pitched screaming and I realised it was myself. I grabbed my head, put my hand on the back, tried to scratch it out.

The door opened and Susanna and Jessica came running in. In the background I heard Lily yell, asking what was going on. I noticed it was morning again – we had been sleeping all day and all night.

My head! Oh, God, my head!

“Regina? Regina, talk to me, what’s going on?!” Susanna ran up to me and grabbed my wrists to prevent me from scratching my brains out. There was blood on my nails, but I didn’t care.

My head! Make it stop!”

I felt something cold against the back of my head and realised Jessica was pressing a cold towel right where the pain was. It worked a bit, but hardly.

“Should we call an ambulance?” I heard Ian ask, who was standing in the doorway in his pyjamas.

“What do you want to tell them? That an ancient prophecy is the cause of strange necromantic powers which give her the power to start a zombie apocalypse?” Jessica snarled, and tried to prevent me from kicking her.

My head! Oh God, I wanted to die, just let the pain go away! I wanted to cut my brain out, as long as it just stopped!

Help me!” I screamed as hard as I could.

“What do we do?” Jessica yelled. “What do we do?”

“Do we have any sedatives?!” Susanna asked, completely panicked.

“I’ll go check!” Lily said, and ran out.

“Hurry!”

“Is there anything I can do?” Ian asked.

“Yeah, you can shut up.”

Susanna!”

“What?”

Make it stop! Make it stop!”

“Oh God, please don’t let her die…”

“That’s not going to happen, Jess, I promise.”

“Well you can’t know that for sure…”

“Shut up, Ian!”

Things slowly began turning black, but I wasn’t fainting. I wished I was. I wanted to faint, to sleep, to die, anything to never feel again.

“Her eyes are turning black again!” Jessica yelled. Were they?

“What does that even mean?!”

“Susanna, calm down, I’m sure it’s going to be fine…”

“You said she could die two minutes ago, Ian, so shut up before I punch you!”

“He was just trying to help.”

“Where is Lily?!”

Their voices started to fade and I began seeing the galaxies again. Millions of stars and planets passing by, bright flashes, as if stars were exploding or perhaps falling. The pain kept going and I tried to reach my head to do I don’t know what, but Susanna and Regina tried holding me still.

It got worse – it felt like my head was on fire from the inside. I didn’t even hear the people around me anymore. Everything was a haze and it felt like a bomb was about to explode inside me.