Chapter Fifty-two - Calm After the Storm

Susanna

I silently watched Jessica and Lily hug, cry, make up, kiss, cry more, and even though many people had died, and I knew we would feel horrible for the next... ten years, probably, I smiled slightly. They were together, the way they should be.

Suddenly I felt a hand trying to grab mine. I pulled it away in a natural reflex, but when I turned around I saw it was Ian. He didn't say anything. He just looked me in the eye – my smile disappeared, but I did feel better now that I knew he was okay. I had saved him and we were okay.

We were okay.

With a deep sigh, I let him take me into his arms and clenched mine around him like a clingy teenager.

"I suppose I can go now." I suddenly heard the black being who called herself Elizabeth, who was still occupying my sister, say.

Me and Ian turned around at the same time.

"I guess so." I answered. "Will you be alright?"

She shrugged. "I'm dead. I shall be perfectly fine, now that I know this world is once more safe from such horrors."

I heard Ian chuckle because of her old-fashioned language and I stepped on his foot on purpose. He stopped laughing, but his body was still shaking and I recognised the look on his face – he was trying not to smile very hard.

"That's good to know. What about my sister?"

The being hesitated before answering. "She has been through quite a lot. I cannot remove these memories from her mind, I am afraid, but I am perfectly sure you and your sister can lend her aid."

I bit my lip. "We don't have a choice."

"And physically?" Ian asked. "I mean, it's not like she has pitch black skin and white eyes for the rest of her life now, is it?"

The being smiled. "You love her, don't you?"

"Not like... I... I love her. But like a sister. My one and only companion is right next to me."

"I advise you not to worry. Regina will not have any physical inconveniences – in fact, I shall heal all her wounds as a courtesy. Because in all honesty, I owe her that. If she hadn't opened her mind to me, if she had not been so strong, I would not have been able to destroy that monstrous demon."

Ian nodded gratefully.

The being looked at the sky. "I shall leave now. The spirits of the netherworld will accompany me, and we shall leave this world once and forever. It is, after all, the world of the living." She looked at me and smiled. "I thank you and your family, Susanna van Helsing. It is truly an honour to have such courageous offspring. I wish you and your beloved all the happiness in the world – may you find it soon!"

And after she had said that, the black suddenly faded from my sister's skin and spirit dust poured out of her mouth, nose, eyes and ears, until all of it was out and had formed a human shape in the air, the shape of Elizabeth. Regina was slightly hovered down onto the floor.Elizabeth raised her shady arm and all the remaining spirits rose up into the air. She followed last, and they disappeared among the stars, to the other world, where I hoped they would find peace at last.

"She talked weird." Ian mumbled.

I sighed. "You would know."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means you're weird."

I heard somebody cough softly behind me and suddenly realised the rest of my family was currently still standing on the saddening battlefield.Well, not all of them.