He Was A Dog When I Left, I Swear! - Chapter 4

Bruno:

Blue pulled away from me, her fingers flying to her lips, and I found myself smirking at the confusion on her face. We had kissed; what was her problem? Okay, so maybe she had a bit of trouble accepting the fact that I had been pretending to be her pet for the last...ah, I'd lost count but it'd been a while.

She took a step away, shaking her head.

"Get away from me," she growled. Christ, she looked sexy when she made that face; she was scowling at me, her lip beginning to curl in a little sneer. She took the lead in her hands and then thrust them into mine, brushing past me as she began to walk away. I stared after her.

"Blue!" I shouted, leaning against the tree. I began to shake with laughter. You know that hysterical cackling that you do when you realise that your life is well and truly fucked? Yeah, well, that seemed to be the playlist to my life recently. Or ever since Blue had started bringing boys home; whichever came first.

I didn't get why life had to be so complicated; why couldn't I have just been normal, and Blue and I had met the average way? In this far off universe, I was sure there was an alternate reality where Blue and I had grown up together as humans. When we got to secondary school, we realised that we were madly in love with each other and then, I proposed and she happily accepted. After that, we'd have a nice house, nice wedding, pop out a couple of kids and Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your fucking aunt.

Yeah, that was how it was meant to be. Not this. This was purgatory cooled down. I mean, I knew I was crazy about her; had been since the first time I had seen her. It was just the fact that she didn't feel the same way that had me literally chasing my tail.

I sighed and began to walk after her, changing back into a dog as I went. The correct term was "wolf", but I had spent too long being referred to as the dog, that I had just come to accept it. I left the lead lying on the leafy ground. I hated that thing.

I caught up with her quickly, nudging her hand with my snout. She jumped and swore loudly, rounding on me.

"Leave me alone, Bruno," she hissed, rubbing her forehead with her palms. "It's not cute and it's not funny, it's just downright weird." I licked her finger in response and she jerked it away in disgust. Then, she turned on her heel once more, muttering something about stupid dog-boys.

Okay, maybe forgiveness wasn't on the cards then.

***

When I trotted back home, Blue had very kindly left the door wide open for me, inviting in any stray Tom, Dick or Harry. That girl had absolutely no sense. I padded through to the kitchen, where she was sitting at the table, her head in her hands, pretending to listen to some neurotic T.V. programme she had stuck on. Her mum was on the computer, tapping away at great speed. Did she not realise how annoying that got? I would listen to it for four hours straight, lying in my basket.

I rolled over next to Blue's chair, hoping to catch her attention. It did.

She looked down and rolled her eyes, nudging my hind leg with the tip of her toe.

"Do you have to do that?" she groaned. Well, she hadn't minded five minutes ago when I had my tongue shoved down her throat. I got up, resting my head on her lap. I was desperate for her to go to her bedroom so we could talk some more.

"Bruno, I swear to God, if you don't move your head, I'll turn you into a hot dog," she warned.

I was getting pissed off.

I nipped her on the hand, not hard enough to leave a mark but with enough force to make her notice.

"Ouch!" she yelped, rubbing at the skin. "Stupid dog just bit me!"