He Was A Dog When I Left, I Swear! - Chapter 11

Chapter 11:

Blue:

“I’m just a puzzle piece,” Bruno began, wringing his hands nervously as he paced my room. “A puzzle piece that’s pissed off a hell of a lot of people.” He glanced at me, trying to see if I was about to give over and let him off with that.

“By doing what?” I demanded, leaning against the door. I could pretend that I was sure of myself. I could pretend that I knew what I was doing whilst interrogating him. But the truth was that I had no clue how to react. How was I supposed to? Whyweren’t manuals given on this? How To Act When You Find Out Your Dog Is A Man…

It would be a bestseller with freaks everywhere!

“I, um,” Bruno stuttered, coming to a halt in the middle of the floor. “I was supposed to…form a treaty…with the Mage’s. There had been feuds for years, and years, and I suppose…I suppose they’d just had enough.

“But my father,” he murmured, raking a hand through his hair. “My father didn’t want that. He thought that signing my life away with a Mage was…a ridiculous idea.”

“What’s a Mage?” I asked quietly, trying not to completely lose it with this information overload. Bruno snorted with laughter, as though my ignorance to his past was somehow hilarious.

“I’m not laughing at you,” he redeemed, shaking his head. “I just…It’s nice to talk to someone who doesn’t know who they are; you’re less likely to have an opinion.”

The sigh escaped my lips before I could stop it; I didn’t care if I didn’t have an opinion on it. To have an opinion, I would have to know what the hell they were, and because he wasn’t telling, the likelihood was I would never form a bloody opinion!

“What are they?” I asked again, eyebrow quirking upwards. Bruno bit his lip, raking a hand through is hair.

“Imagine a place,” he started, “where anything was possible. This whole other realm where there was this race of people who were…different. Where magic existed, and everything was bright, and pure; the Mage are a race of people who live in the other realm.”

Bruno’s eyebrow furrowed slightly as he thought, taking a deep breath before ploughing on.

“But they’re a cruel race; they make humans dance on strings because they can, and because they enjoy it. They start wars because it makes them smile. They’re not good; they just…appear to be.”

The thoughts processed, letting the information break down the mental brick wall that seemed to come with anything Bruno said. Okay. Mage equalled bad. Right. Got it.

“Are…you a Mage?” I asked tentatively, watching for his reaction. Bruno snorted with laughter, looking at me with a mad look in his eye.

“No!” he exclaimed. “I’m not one of them!”

“So…werewolves and Mage’s fight?”

Bruno sighed, rubbing at his temples. He seemed to just have this way of making me feel like I was the thickest person in the world, he really did. Had it not been him that had told me he was a werewolf? Had that just been another lie? It was beginning to get difficult to differentiate between what was the truth and what was fiction.

“I was meant to marry one of them, and I refused, and they didn’t like that…” he muttered. “So my dad, he…” Bruno cleared his throat. “Werewolves aren’t meant to exist in this reality – any wolves that happen to be people are just descendants of those who have escaped from The Realm.