He Was A Dog When I Left, I Swear! - Chapter 6

When I woke in the morning, there was something heavy on top of me. I groaned, trying to push it off, to no avail.

Grudgingly, I opened one eye, only to find that Bruno was lying across my stomach, complete with fur and paws. I straightened up; had I completely imagined everything that had happened yesterday? Because, as much as I knew I had addled my brain with less than holy substances, I knew the difference between a dog and a human.

And Bruno was most certainly a dog right now.

“Get off me, you lump,” I grumbled, shoving at him. The lazy creature just looked at me mournfully before slumping down further, preventing me from moving my legs. Stupid. Dog.

“Blue?”

For a second, yes, I thought it was Bruno speaking to me. Instead, I looked up to see Marshall sticking his head around the door. This probably looked slightly awkward; I had all of Marshall’s clothes lying on my bed, surrounding the big furry mutt that was currently cutting off my circulation.

“Yes?” I asked, my voice coming out scratchy. Ouch; what the hell had I done last night? No doubt, I would end up getting flashes of it throughout the day; that was normally what happened.

“I need to talk to you,” he mumbled, closing the door behind him. Sighing, I reached into my bedside cabinet, rattling through the contents until I found what I was looking for.

“Tell her to take a few of these,” I said, throwing him a small box. As an after thought, I threw him a condom packet as well, my eyebrows raised. He probably needed it more than I did.

Marshall stood, gaping at me in disbelief. Okay; maybe he wasn’t in that sort of trouble, in which case, I had just made this into a very awkward moment. Grinning embarrassedly at him, I lay back and scratched Bruno’s ears, laughing quietly as his leg twitched as well.

“Not that sort of talk,” Marshall hissed, lobbing the contraceptives back at me. They hit my head with a thud and fell onto the floor, the circular tub rolling under the bed. I rolled my eyes; some people were such prudes!

“Well, what d’you want, Brother Dearest?” I demanded, finally managing to tug my legs away from Bruno and nearly falling off the bed. He was standing in front of my window awkwardly, shuffling from foot to foot. What was this? Marshall Hart never got nervous. He was renowned for being an arrogant arsehole. So why was he acting like a young child about to be scolded?

“Blue,” he murmured quietly. “Who’s Dex?”

My breath caught slightly, automatically pressing back into the comfort of my bed. How did he even know a Dex existed? I had always managed pretty well to keep my family away from my social life, even going so far as to give them false names to put them off the scent.

I mean; they’d throw a fit if I ever took Tabby home to meet them. She was lovely enough, but her appearance would send them into a state of shock. If they thought that my hair was mad, they had yet to meet Tabitha Gardiner and her crazy style.

A lot of the time, I just felt sorry for Tabs; she didn’t have much luck when it came to life. Her dad had died when she was just a kid, and her mum had just sort of given up on her and her brother, Dominic.

Put my problems into perspective.

“Dex? He’s, um, I don’t know who he is,” I fibbed, realising a little too late that the delayed reaction had pretty much contradicted my lie. I chewed on my lip nervously, looking anywhere but my brother. This was so uncomfortable; I didn’t want to talk to Marshall about the arse who had broken my fault.