He Was A Dog When I Left, I Swear! - Chapter 12

Chapter 12:

Bruno –

Panicking would be a bad thing to do. I mean, it wasn’t like Inga was going to do anything that would expose Mage’s; rules of conduct or something…And she couldn’t do anything to Blue because that would spark another war, and this was all about a Treaty. So it wasn’t as if Blue was at any immediate risk, right?

Which would of course the speed at which I was running, and the panic that seemed to course through my system at a fevered rate. There was no other reason for it; I was simply…keeping the mood calm.

I skidded onto Blue’s street, pelting up the pavement as my lungs attempted to implode on themselves, the light breeze turning against me and transforming into a strong barrier, pushing me back and away from the house. I battled on, gritting my teeth as I finally reached the front door.

“Blue?” I shouted, running up the stairs. “Blue, are you alri-”

“What is your problem?” her brother demanded, quirking his eyebrow at me. I stared at him, trying to ignore the pounding in my head. Why did humans have to be so dense? Could they not just accept that I was trying to save their lives? No. Because that would mean accepting something that wasn’t normal, and from living in this bloody realm for what felt like eternity, I had deduced that, if you weren’t normal, you might as well not exist.

“I haven’t got a problem,” I snapped. “Yet.” I tried to move past Marshall, only for him to block the door, glowering up at me.

“Don’t mess my sister about,” he growled. “She’s been through enough.”

Like I didn’t know that already! He hadn’t been the one she’d sobbed into when she’d gotten her heart broken, or who knew everything that had happened that summer when she refused to come home! It wasn’t like I didn’t know how Blue’s head worked.

But he didn’t know that. As far as Marshall Hart knew, I was just some gay teenager who was living in his sister’s room. I suppose it was better that the truth.

“What are you two doing?” Blue asked hazily, popping her head out of the door. Her face was dark with bruises, and she’d tied her hair away from her face, revealing the patch of hair which had been wrenched out during Inga’s attack.

I swallowed.

“What the hell happened to you, Blue?!” Marshall demanded, checking her over. “Who’s done this?” Blue jerked her head away from his hands, muttering something about falling down the stairs.

“I’ll patch you up,” I mumbled, ushering her back into the bedroom. Before Marshall could argue, I’d slammed the door in his face, dragging my hands down my face. This was such mess; not only did Inga want Blue, but Marshall was after my balls.

Blue sat down on the bed, her face pale under the dark blend of marks and abrasions on her normally pretty face. Guilt tugged at my gut, a whine escaping from the back of my throat.

“What happened?” she asked quietly. I considered her for a moment, raking my teeth through my lip. What did I have to gain by telling her the truth? She would just worry about something that I could prevent, that was all. I could protect Blue, just as I had done for almost two decades. Nothing had changed, really.

“I’ve got it sorted,” I lied, sitting down beside her. “Trust me.”

The expression on her face was sceptical, but she merely curled up on the bed, a soft moan escaping her lips as the comfort washed over her.

“I’m so sore,” she grumbled, her hand twitching slightly. “Stupid Mage...” I snorted with laughter, lying down beside her and gently rubbing her shoulders. It was a small enough gesture; I’d been thrown around enough in my life to know that it caused knots in your shoulders to annoy you to hell.