|eikosienia|

Untouched

All Rights Reserved

© 2015 Luna Black

~*~

Ariel awoke with a jolt. Thick, heavy droplets of sweat were sliding down her forehead, drenching her entire body in perspiration. She gasped, trying to control her erratic heartbeat and looked around the room in fear.

Everything was like she had left it.

It had just been a dream.

She laid back on the pillows, breathing in deeply and ran her fingers through her sweaty hair, pushing it back as she fanned her face. She felt hot and her eyes glazed over the entire room as shadows began to turn into her biggest fears.

A shaky chuckle rumbled past her lips and she rolled her eyes at her frivolousness. She was twenty-two, living with her mother, and she was currently unemployed. Not that the money mattered much, for her grandmother’s inheritance would sustain her for another lifetime. But nonetheless, she was still living with her mother, whom was soon to be married.

She breathed in deeply again, closing her eyes as her heartbeat began to slow down to normalcy and she rubbed her index fingers against her temples. It had just been a dream; nothing more.

After the incident with Persephone, her death and resurrection, Ariel decided that she needed a lifetime-vacation from the gods. She wanted nothing to do with them, not even in pictures. Just the mere thought of stumbling paths with any of them, brought shivers to run down her spine.

Thinking about Hades brought about an inexplicable pain to her chest. She knew that she should’ve stayed with him. After all, she had given up her life for his; it only proved how much she loved him.

But he had broken her, broken her trust and most importantly her heart. She couldn’t just throw herself back into his arms and allow the hurt to return. If it occurred again, she would be titled an imbecile.

Nonetheless, she was afraid. And he had thankfully listened to her when she begged him to never look for her again. He had upheld his promise – only three days had gone by, but she had gotten no signs of the gods and she was utterly content.

Some parts of her wished that he would fight her, that he would show up at her doorstep with a mariachi band and serenade her, but he wouldn’t do that. Besides, she really wasn’t into Mexican music; she didn’t understand Spanish.

Ariel shook her head, rolling her eyes at her absurd thoughts and glanced at the neon clock on her dresser. The clock read; 9:16pm. It wasn’t early, but it wasn’t extremely late.

Ever since she came back from the Underworld, she found herself tremendously tired, which was kind of ironic, seeing that she had slept for almost two days straight. One would think that the last thing in her mind would be sleep, yet her body proved that it overruled any of her thoughts.

It was like her body was slowly shutting down. At times she feared that she would go to sleep and never wake up again, but whatever greater being out there had brought her back, must’ve done it for a reason. They weren’t just going to bring her back to take her back. Right?

She sighed, kicking the slightly wet covers off her legs and slowly sat up, as to not cause herself vertigo. Ariel blindly searched for her slippers and then grabbed her towel, to head into the shower.

For the past two nights she had the strangest dreams she’d ever have. She didn’t tell David or her mom because she was afraid they’d send her to a nuthouse. She knew that if she could, she’d do so herself.