|dekaenia|

Untouched

All Rights Reserved

© 2014 Luna Black  

~*~

“Ariel,” Hades knelt before her, taking her cheeks in his palms and rubbed his thumb against the corners of her lips, “don’t say that. Everyone can-”

“-not everyone is cursed like me,” she replied bitterly, looking away from his pleading blue eyes. She took a deep breath and whispered, “It’s a small price for what I’ve done, really.”

He shook his head, gritting his teeth in annoyance, “You haven’t done anything, Ariel.”

Ariel looked down at her hands, biting her bottom lip as tears began to cloud her vision and muttered, “I’ve killed.”

Hades sighed, running his fingers through his hair and said, “Ariel-”

“No,” she pushed him away, but he didn’t move an inch. He tightened his hands around her face, wiping away her tears and she whispered, “I can’t do that. I can’t kill someone else; especially not someone I love.”

“You won’t-”

“You don’t know that,” she snapped, more salty tears sliding down her cheeks, “I can’t do this!” Her speech became slurred as she spoke faster, “I-I can’t! The curse says that it can only be broken by true love, but I will kill that person and I know I can’t kill you; our sexual rendezvous have clearly proved otherwise. But I can’t lose you, Hades. I love you and I can’t kill you.”

The god stepped back, staring at her with wide eyes and dropped his hands to his sides. Ariel continued sobbing and a small smile broke through Hecate’s face. She nodded approvingly, wanting to give them some privacy to sort their feelings, but Hades prevented her from doing so.

“­Y-you what?”

Ariel frowned, sniffling and wiped the back of her hand against her lightly pink nose. “I can’t-”

“No,” he shook his head, inching closer to her so that they were touching once more, “the thing you said after that.”

Her frown deepened and she scratched the back of her neck awkwardly. Hades laughed, taking her jaw in his hands and brushed his lips against hers as he whispered, “The thing about loving me.”

“Oh,” her eyes widened and she felt a heat of embarrassment crawling from her back up to her entire face, “that?” He nodded, biting his lips to keep himself from smiling. “I do,” she mumbled, “I love you; which is why I have to stay as far as I can from you; I don’t want to kill you.”

The light shining in his eyes was bright enough to lighten any blackout in the world. His smile widened, making him feel like his cheeks were going to peel apart and he caressed her face, “You won’t kill me.”

She shut her eyes, desperately trying to believe his words and said, “Hades, I can’t lose you. You don’t understand.” She threw her hands up in the air, feeling frantic for words to express what she felt, “I can’t kill you. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if something happened to you because of this stupid curse.”

“Ariel,” he grinned, “there’s no way you can kill me.”

“But,” she frowned and he shook his head.

“No, buts.” Hades stood up, to sit next to her and took her hand in his, tracing her knuckles gently as he said, “The curse states that you will kill your lover before you get the chance to fall in love. What the curse didn’t count on was you falling in love with the God of Death.”