36. Vivi, the lost name (1)

Master Rue's stare was sharp; sharp enough to make Asher want to avoid his gaze. Still, the young boy gathered his courage and stared right back at the old man.

Asher was frustrated, and he had every right to feel this way. The last thing he needed after these few, stress-filled days was for his future mentor to grow suspicious of him and his friendships.

"Are you assuming that I committed some heinous acts to get Pithos to follow me?"

Master Rue didn't respond to his question, giving Asher the answer he hadn't been expecting. Him, forcing someone else to follow him around and be his companion? Asher would rather live his life in reclusiveness than take away someone else's freedom.

With a bitter taste in his mouth, Asher said, "It is disrespectful for you to assume that I would be the type of person you believe that I am. I have never, and will never force the people I care about to stay and follow me. Pithos made his decision to stay by me, and I am not keeping him against his will."

"You can go ahead and ask him, by all means. As long as it clears your suspicions and baseless misunderstandings."

As he finished, Asher gazed away and instead began to stare at the scenery. The sound of the rushing water crashing against the rocks was enough to keep him calm.

All the while Asher was distracted, Master Rue had begun to meditate about his life. An urgent call from someone who saved him long ago had prompted this series of rather unfortunate events. Far from feeling that his days were beginning to be filled with vigor once again, Master Rue felt that his life was going down a chaotic route; one where he didn't know what was waiting for him at the end.

 Master Rue felt that Asher wasn't just one person at times, but two. This strange boy was sometimes weak and shy and other times confident and ruthless. Who here can state in full confidence that Asher is to be trusted? Everything about him screamed 'vault of secrets'. However, the most crucial matter to think about was how exactly was Asher able to come into contact with a beast like Pithos since the answer to this question could potentially lead Master Rue to his death.

Master Rue still remembered the times when he was all but an old man. Full of vigor and excitement, he left what he called his 'temporary home'  to find someone to form a meaningful contract with. Instead of achieving this, he had only learned how the human species was a cruel and unforgiving race.

He had stopped by a small village. Despite the size, the village was bustling with strong humans and everyone seemed to be kind and caring towards one another. Young Rue spent only a few days there, trying to find which person amongst all humans was the most exceptional. He paid no attention to their strength, but rather their charisma and wits. Only one woman managed to catch his attention.

This woman was unremarkable when viewing only her skills, but she had a cunning side to her that got her out of any situation she landed herself in. She was also hot-tempered and emotional, the type of person that put her morals first and acted accordingly. The day he set out to find her, young Rue stopped by the bar she frequented recently in advance. After waiting for about half an hour, the lady he had been itching to for a contract with came in and went directly to speak to the manager of the bar.

Young Rue stood up and composed himself. This was the day he would prove his friends wrong! Young Rue could establish a contract with a human that others would consider 'weak' and bring out her full potential! As young Rue approached the lady from behind, his straw hat shielding his eyes from view, he listened in to their conversation before sprinting away as fast as his legs could carry him.

"Did you manage to lock the bug in the cage?"

"Of course I did. The lady with the glib tongue forced my hand. I wouldn't dare go against her orders."