23. Thank you, Asher Williams

Asher opened his eyes. He felt tired. Too tired to move; too tired to think. He felt Pithos' steady breaths beside his ear and he sighed in relief. Thankfully, he wasn't alone.

His body heavily protested as he sat up. He was covered in a thick layer of gauze that hid his innumerable cuts and bruises. He was thankful that he was a wealthy and powerful general's son, which meant that he must've received highly effective medicine. However, Asher was confused. Didn't they have healing mages that could help heal his wounds? Why did they use normal medicine instead?

Asher kept pondering over that thought as the door to his room opened. Zara, Asher's personal maid who had left because of a 'family emergency', was standing on the doorway. A myriad of memories involving Zara flashed through Asher's mind, his lips forming into an excited grin.

How could he not know Zara? She was the only maid who treated Asher as a genuine young master and like the child he was. She was pained to see how Asher was hurting every day and thus strengthened her resolve to stay by his side. From the very start till now Zara had been by his side, silently protecting him whenever she could. It was rather unfortunate that Zara's healing prowess was being wasted on him. He recalled how, after building a foundation of trust, she revealed that she had never wanted to become a maid. Zara never wanted to be tied down, but here she was now.

Zara's tanned expression lit up in delight as she saw her young master fully awake and already sitting up. Her iridescent purple eyes traveled across Asher's body as she frowned. If she hadn't been sent away by Master Alejandro then Asher wouldn't have been hurt to such an extent. Zara herself could've battled against Kirkley instead of her young master. She had been personally trained by the master to take care of Asher so there was no way she would've lost to a measly knight that wanted to overpower Asher.

"Young Master Asher, are you hungry?"

Asher nodded as his stomach gurgled is agreement. Zara contained her laughter as her cheeks slightly puffed and quickly left the room only to come back a few minutes later with a plate of food. Just like that time when Zara grabbed him from the bathtub, Asher was once again being fed by her. The only time Asher had felt this weak was in his other life where he forced himself to starve in order to send some money back home to his parents.

Asher sighed after having been fed. It's been a while since he last saw Zara and so much had happened since then. Archer's arrival, the merging of his soul, the interrogation, and everything in between. It was way too much to just throw onto her. Besides, Zara has just arrived to see her half-dead young master. It wasn't the best thing to come home to, to say the least.

"Is Kio awake?"

"Yes, Young Master Asher."

"Please bring him here," Asher said while closing his eyes.

He had revealed the ugly truth to his mother. He was from another world, but he was also from this world. He was not himself, but he was also himself. Asher finds his whole identity confusing. Still, he wished to reveal the truth to those closest to him. Kio was one of those who will know the truth about his identity.

While Zara left to fetch Kio, Pithos had awoken. His ruby eyes stared at Asher blankly, making Asher smile. Pithos shook his head as if to say 'You're too troublesome'. Asher swooped Pithos up in his arms as he laughed freely. Let's forget about our grievances and look towards our future, okay?

Creek...

Kio opened the door. His cold gaze turned gentle at the sight of Asher's bright smile. Thankfully, yesterday's ordeal hadn't made him feel self-conscious about his strength. The red-haired teenager shooed Zara away with his gaze and closed the door behind him. He wanted to spend time with his brother alone without any interruptions.