Chapter 12

Kim "Ethan" Yong-saeng

"Can you please text Max and tell him I'll talk to him tomorrow at school?" I ask Andrés as I hand him my phone while driving toward the town.

"Sure," said Andrés, but he stared at my phone without doing anything.

He must not know how to use my phone but was not asking for help. Andrés could be so cute sometimes.

"Just go to my contact list and type in the name Max. It should be the first option," I explain to Andrés with more direction.

"Give me a second," said Andrés as he quickly typed on my phone and put it back in the front compartment.

"Thanks," I said to him. Then, several awkward minutes went by in silence. I felt suffocation as time moved slowly.

I tried to say something to lighten the mood.

"So, how do you like the pack so far?" I ask Andrés to get the conversation moving somewhere.

"It's okay," said Andrés without much care.

"I mean, it's not like Florida, but I'm sure you will like it here," I said as I turned into the seafood restaurants that the Alpha August loves to eat at.

"How did you know I live in Florida?" He asked me in a curious tone.

"Umm... I hear the grown-up talking about you. Everyone's been curious about what you're like since we've never seen you before," I said, lying through my teeth.

Technically, no one knows about Andrés till Alpha August introduces him to the pack. The former alpha just shows up with a son and will tell the pack that he will be the new alpha soon.

We finally made it to the restaurant and sat down to eat.

"What will you both be having today?" Asked the waitress as she handed us the menu.

"I want filet fish with rice," I tell the waitress.

"I want umm... jumbo shrimp with French fries," Andrés said quietly.

"Your orders will be right up," said the chipper waitress as she took our order.

"So, what do you do for fun?" I asked Andrés as I closed my phone and put it aside.

"Work," he said as he checked his phone.

"Cool," I responded. I don't know what else to say.

After a while, the food came, and we ate our food in silence. This dinner date wasn't going the way I thought it would go in my head. For all I know, Andrés probably thought I was a crazy person for wanting to hang out after only knowing each other for a couple of hours.

Can someone hide me or bury me alive? I was feeling the awkwardness by the minute.

Andrés was quietly eating his French fries and playing with the shrimp.

Wait, Ethan! How could you forget such an essential part of Andrés?

Andrés doesn't like fish at all.

I faceplant at my own thought process.

"Want to get out of here and get some pizza?" I ask Andrés with an awkward laugh.

"Yes, please," He tells me as his eyes light up.

If there was anything that I knew about Andrés was that he loves cheese pizza.

I paid for the meal, and we left to find the closest pizza place I could find. Luckily, this pizza place will become Andrés' favorite place in town in the near future.

We ended up eating the pizza in my car and looking up at the stars with the windows rolled down.

"So, tell me something about yourself?" I asked Andrés in hopes of starting a conversation with him.

"I'm Andrés, and I was raised by my mom. I have a dog named Bunny, and she will have puppies soon. Do you want to see it?" He asked me with excitement as he grabbed his phone to show me.

"Sure, I would love to see Bunny," I tell him as I lean over to look at his phone screen.

"This is Bunny a couple of months ago, and this is Bunny about a week ago," Andrés explains as he switches in-between images to show me.

"You have to bring Bunny over to the pack. I'm sure everyone there will love to have her visit," I told him as I could imagine my brother begging abuji for a pup.

"I wish I could, but my mom gave away Buddy because she had to go to the hospital," Andrés tells me with sadness in his eyes.

"Your mom is in the hospital?" I asked shockingly since I never knew anything about that before.

"Yeah, she has breast cancer. I'm not sure if she will make it," he tells me as he takes a bite of his pizza.

"You know that I worked so hard to pay her medical bill by myself, but it wasn't enough," he continued to explain to me.

"Then, a stranger I never meet tells me he is my father and wants to help. At first, I thought it was a scam, you know?" He asked as he took another bite.

"Yeah, I would too," I said as I agreed with him and grabbed a breadstick to eat.

"He also said that if I moved here, he would pay my mom's medical bills and hospital stays. So I don't know even if I made the right decision at all," Andrés tells me with stress in his voice.

"Did he at least tell you about the alpha positions or how things work around here?" I asked him because I was generally curious.

"No, he just gave me an airplane ticket to come here. He said that he would tell me the rest when I came," said Andrés as he looked at his phone again.

"Wow, that is brutal. Man, this is a lot of information to take up all at once," I tell him.

"Yeah, I know that we just met, but I feel close to you somehow," he tells me as he looks into my eyes for the first time since we met in this timeline.

Let's just say my wolf was very overjoyed with Andrés giving us more attention.

I didn't get to respond back because Andrés' phone started to ring, and he quickly picked it up.
Something was wrong. The tone of the phone call was off.

Andrés looked like he had just seen a ghost when the phone call ended.

"What's wrong?" I asked him.

"It's the hospital. My mom's health has turned for the worst, and they are afraid that she may not last the night," he said with tears in his eyes.

---

abuji means father in Korean

---

Ethan and Andrés date-but-not-a date. Sadly has come to an end. = ̄ω ̄=