Chapter 11

Kim "Ethan" Yong-saeng

I open my eyes as I gasp for air. I look around the familiar room in a panic.

I was on the cold hard table.

Then, I look to my left and see the man in the suit with his tablet. He is sitting in the same place he once was.

I was once again at Second Chance!

I get off the table and sit in the only available chair left. Did I fail my mission?

"I regret to inform you that you didn't complete your mission," said the man in the suit.

"What?" I ask in a state of shock. I never found the baby to save. So how did I fail the mission in the end?

"You weren't able to complete the mission. If you want, I can tell you who the infant was?" asked the man. He paused for my answer.

To which I nodded in response.

"Hope was the carrier of the infant. But unfortunately, on the way to the hospital, she had a miscarriage. Thus, your mission was unsuccessful," said the man as he looked at his tablet.

Was it Hope's baby? Wasn't destiny a mess-up thing?!

I was only looking for a baby but never thought it could be an unborn child. The idea had never even crossed my mind.

"The mission was about saving an infant, but Hope's baby was unborn," I replied, trying to understand what I just heard.

"I understand where the misunderstanding could be reached. But on the other hand, an infant has a beating heart, and a fetus has a beating heart; therefore, the mission could mean either a fetus or an infant. Therefore, the term goes hand in hand," said the man as he tried to explain the failed mission to me.

"I agree a fetus has a beating heart, but it isn't considered an infant yet. The term infant means a baby that is younger than one year of age after being born," I said, trying my best to explain my argument.

Looking back, I'm so thankful I looked up the term infant while researching the mission.

"I understand, but the mission was incomplete," said the man.

"Can I speak with someone else? My life is on the line, and I can't lose it because of technicality," I said confidently to the man.

The man doesn't say anything for a second or two. Then, he opened his mouth to speak.

"Let me speak with my manager. I will be back soon," said the man as he exited the room.

I sat there waiting on what would happen next. Will things lean in my favor or against me?

Finally, another person enters the room and closes the door behind him.

"Hello, I'm the writer of the mission. Let me look over your claim," said the man in a dark purple suit, scrolling down at a tablet.

"I'm sorry for the confusion. I would like to be the first person to say I'm truly sorry for this mix-up," said the writer.

"Because of the error, I can give you two options. The first option is to go back and redo everything again with a similar mission. The second option is to stay here and face impending doom," the writer told me.

"You're not lying, are you?" I ask with skepticism as I think about the two options.

"No, I'm not lying," responds the writer.

"What is the catch?" I am still not completely convinced that I can get a do-over.

"There is no catch," he responded back to me.

"Then, I will pick the first option," I said to him while he smiled and started to type away on his tablet. When he was done, he handed over his tablet to me.

"If you can sign here, we can send you back right away," said the writer as he pointed to the black line.

I didn't read the contract this time since everything looked like the first one.

Another thought entered my mind while I was glancing over the contact. The writer left the punishment blank.

I end up quickly signing my name and returning the tablet to him.

"Thank you for choosing Second Chance," said the writer, and then he snapped his fingers.

I hear a clicking sound.

I was back once again to my life.

"This is my son Andrés Oliva. He will take over the pack soon. Ethan, I hope you can show my son around," said Alpha August with a smile as he introduced father and me to his son.

I blinked a couple of times to figure out where I was. Then, finally, my eyes wander around the room, and I notice I'm at Andrés' house!

I also may have taken a moment to admire the shy younger version of Andrés.

Then, my mission pops up again with a little different wording.

Mission: Save Hope's infant after it's born ^_^

Well, the writer did change the wording. So I can give him that. Not sure how saving my murderer's baby is going to work out, though.

"I'm sure Yong-saeng would be honored to show Mr. Andrés Oliva around. Right, son?" Ask father as he looks back at me for a response. I snap out of my trail of thought.

"Yes, abuji. I would be honored," I responded.

I look over at Andrés, and he looks around the house in amazement. His eyes are sparking with the lighting of the room. I can't believe that I'm back. A whole year before things leads to chaos.

Alpha August and father left to talk in another room. Leaving Andrés and me by ourselves.

"I'm talking Andrés out to celebrate," I tell the Alpha and father as I grab Andrés' wrist to lead him to my car.

Andrés ends up following me and gets into my red 2008 Chevrolet Equinox.

My phone rings as I start to drive into town.

---

I wrote this chapter about two years ago, wondering what would happen in 2022...

😒