Chapter 1

Kim Yong-saeng played by Lee Jae-wook

Kim "Ethan" Yong-saeng

"This is my son Andrés Oliva. He will take over the pack very soon. Ethan, I hope you can show my son around town," said Alpha August with a smile as he introduced father and me to his son.

I nod my head in understanding and look over at Andrés. I notice that Andrés has a darker skin tone which makes him look Hispanic. I was confused for a second because Alpha August is white, so Andrés must have gotten his skin tone from his mother.

I never heard Alpha August ever mention that he had a son named Andrés before. Now, out of nowhere was his son, and he would be taking over rather than Greg.

Everyone just assumed Greg would be the future Alpha since he is the third-in-command and Alpha August doesn't have any male sons.

My face must have shown that I was confused, so father spoke up for me as I tried to better understand the situation.

"I'm sure Yong-saeng would be honored to show Mr. Oliva around. Right, son?" Ask father as he looks at me.

"Yes, abuji. It would be an honor," I responded politely with a smile. I look over at Andrés, and he looks around the house in amazement.

"So, where are you from?" I ask Andrés. I have never seen him before, so maybe he is from out of town. I waited for an answer, but it never came.

Figures that this dude is arrogant. Now that he will be the future Alpha, he doesn't talk to people lesser than him. Andrés still hasn't looked in my direction because he is too busy staring at the front windows.

"Let's go," I said to Andrés as I moved to open the front door of Alpha August's house.

Andrés soon follows me and gets in my red 2008 Chevrolet Equinox.

Before I could attempt to talk with Andrés again, my phone started to ring. I pick up the call as I drive out of pack territory.

"Max, what's up?" I asked my best friend.

"Where are you? Don't you remember that we agreed to meet up?" Ask Max with an annoying tone in his voice.

"Shoot, I forgot. Can we meet up another day?" I ask Max as I watch Andrés from the corner of my eye. I could feel something wasn't right with Andrés, but I didn't know what.

"The history paper is due tomorrow. You said you would help me," pleads Max with me.

"Fine, let me see what I can do," I said. Then, I cut off the call.

I look over to Andrés, who is in the passenger seat. He was looking out the car window.

Suddenly, an idea pops into my head.

"Here is fifty dollars. If you walk down the road for a couple of miles, you will find a small town. I'm sure you will find something to do," I said as I stopped the car and handed over fifty dollars to Andrés.

I'm sure Andrés will be okay by himself. After all, he's a werewolf who can shift at any time. He will return to the pack territory without difficulty.

I drive out of the gas station and head toward Max's house, which is in the opposite direction.

After a couple of miles, I hear a phone ring. I reach for my phone but notice it's not mine. Instead, I find another phone in the passenger seat. Must be Andrés's phone, I thought to myself. I decided to ignore the call since it must not be important if it wasn't from a registered number.

◽◽◽◽◽◽◽◽

One Year Pass

Alpha Andrés and I have one rule: we don't interfere in each other's personal life. That's how we coexist as Alpha and stand-in Beta of the Evergreen Pack.

Father helps Alpha Andrés with the pack duties while I go to high school, and when I'm finished with school, I help Alpha Andrés. My parents say this will help me when I take over as head Beta. A title I was not too happy to receive because of all the responsibility that I would have to carry by myself. It was far too much pressure for me.

But enough about me, the former Alpha August left a couple of months ago. He found his mate and made Andrés the new Alpha. After that, Alpha Andrés started making "new friends" and having parties every weekend. He also decided to get a fresh human girlfriend every week.

Sometimes it gives me headaches just thinking about everything I have to do to ensure the pack finances don't plummet. Also, I check the pack security cameras to ensure no one decides to steal something. Why must I be the grown-up in this situation?

Also, Alpha Andrés' drunk friends love to cause chaos. Sometimes, I want to throw in the towel and leave. The idea of becoming head Beta is slowly turning into a time bomb nightmare.

Today is Monday, so I walked over to Andrés' house with a coffee mug filled with tea to sweep the house. First, I open the door and get a warm welcome by destroyed furniture found all around the house. Then, I take out my phone and make a list of the items that needs to be repaired.

Severely drunk is passed out on the floor in the bedrooms. I even noticed some students from my high school. Great! I try to stop myself from not rolling my eyes too much.

I raise my hand and put my two fingers in my mouth, which makes a high pitch whistle. Soon some people slowly start to wake up, and others try to throw things at me, which they miss because I dodge them.

"It is Monday, people! You need to leave," I said as I raised my voice.

"Alex, I saw you take that. Return it, or I will find you after school," I said to Alex, who was trying to get away with a small plastic clock. He thinks about it and hands it back to me.

"What are you even going to do with a clock?" I asked as I shake my head.

"Neverminded. I don't want to even know," I said to Alex, who shrugged and left.

By 8:00 AM, the last person had left, and I head to the school to start my day.

Kill me now.

---

abuji is father in Korean (formal)

---

The first chapter of the book! I want coffee ☕