019

"We only have two rules;" Hongjoong said as he paced back and forth by the head of the table, everyone's eyes trained on him. I bit my lip as I nodded my head, urging him to continue. "Forgive your enemies but never forget their names," he said, "and protect your loved ones and never betray the family."

He stopped, turning to face us as his eyes locked onto mine for a moment, both of us taking each other in. I stared, admiring how his melanin skin matched the tan colour of the wooden walls behind him; neutral and golden, as he cocked a brow at me.

"You do realize that, by joining Empire, you will be bound to us for life, correct?" Hongjoong said.

I nodded again, clenching my teeth and feeling my jaw go taut as I glanced around the table, taking a moment to study the seven other men in the room.

They were good people. Good people in a bad world, which was in no way an excuse for their actions, for the things that they had done. But they had a purpose and so did I. I had found one as well. And they were good people. "I do."

"Since you are not marked you are not protected by anything other than our word as of now which is why that stunt," Hongjoong continued, immediately bringing my thought back to the other night, to the dress in my closet, hidden in the darkness, "will not be repeated. Ever. You are our only medic but if you end up on enemy territory or worse, dead, we will not be able to help you."

I nodded slowly, shivering a little as I felt Seonghwa's hand on my thigh, the small action having become a habit the blond turned to as a way of comfort lately, softly placing my own hand on top of his as he simply let it rest there, not once tearing his eyes off the leader in front of us.

"I know what I'm capable of," I said, straightening myself a little in my seat, "I am a soldier now, a warrior. I am someone to fear, not hunt."

Seonghwa squeezed my thigh slightly at that, and I didn't miss the flicker of pride in Hongjoong's eyes either as I quickly glanced over at Yunho who who offered me a reassuring smile. Mingi, on the other hand, sitting right next to the advisor, had the same sleazy look in his eyes as always.

Hongjoong clapped his hands which made everyone turn to him once again as he sighed, "Now that the formalities are off the table, let's talk about the plan," he said, sitting down in his chair by the head of the table and leaning back as he placed his hands on the armrests.

"Yeosang," he said, the word sounding more like an order than a name as all eyes went to the informant who cleared his throat.

"Nova will be hosting the gala on October 24th," he said, "Hoseok has confirmed that Hypo, Abyss, Kaleido, and Nocturne will be there as well along with minor organizations, government officials, and other VIPs."

"And what did Seokjin say regarding future cooperation?" the leader hummed, running a hand through his cerulean blue hair. Yeosang nodded, "They want to keep the partnership going."

"They value our services more than the others'," Wooyoung said, leaning over the table, "There has been an increase in their interest towards our products, especially arms. Their loyalty won't waver now. No matter what happens at the gala."

"Wonderful," Hongjoong purred. I furrowed my brows slightly, looking back and forth between the men as I tried to piece together the information being passed back and forth across the table, Seonghwa's hand still comfortably resting on my thigh as if it was only natural for the blond at my side.

"Chan is getting restless, reckless," Yeosang said, "Abyss isn't having any more of it. There is a chance that Taeyong will act before we do."

"Talk to them," Hongjoong said absentmindedly before turning to Yunho, "You go with him. Taeil is older, convince him to let them step back and enjoy the party instead. Offer them something, anything, but don't give anything away. If things don't go as we want, they can take the blame."