017

Jongho was a good trainer. I had to admit that much. But I also had to admit that, despite the fact that I was improving, I wasn't improving fast enough to be ready, to beat him, before my time ran out.

Weeks had passed, which was a lot compared to how easily San had buckled under pressure, and I was still nowhere close enough, strong enough, to be considered a match for the youngest of the group. I was getting increasingly nervous as the days passed and the gala got closer and closer.

Which was why, when I woke up this morning, I had decided to run off. I knew I should have at least told Seonghwa but, for some reason, I hadn't. I had slipped out of the door at the break of dawn and decided that, for once, I wanted nothing more than to simply spend some time with myself and myself only.

The fact that I had taken his wallet with me didn't exactly make my situation easier to appeal to the others once I got back home. I stared down at the black card in my hand, the object feeling almost mocking, supercilious, now that reality had set in.

I was going to be in so much trouble.

"It's fine," I mumbled, shaking my head slightly as I got off the bus and stepped onto the busy street, feeling almost taken aback for a moment by the noise and familiar feel of life swarming the city from having been away for such a long time.

"It's fine," I said again, putting on a smile as I let myself be washed away by the masses of people navigating the streets, enjoying how easily it was to let go and let the stream of unknown faces push me along with them as tall buildings towered over me, occasionally blocking out the sun, and the sounds of music and laughter, and the smells of food and traffic washed out everything else.

It was enough for me to close my eyes for a moment as I let my feet guide me, not minding the nudging and pushing as people hurried past me, simply letting out a deep breath and pushing away my worries and frustrations only to-

I paused as my eyes flickered back open and immediately locked onto a familiar high-end store that made me furrow my brows for a moment until I recognized it as the dress shop Seonghwa had taken me to.

My feet had started moving before I even realized that I had made a decision, and before I knew it, I found myself slipping past the enormous glass doors at the front, offering the assistant a small smile as I headed into the maze of fabrics and colours with a specific goal in mind.

When I finally decided to head home for the day, the bright sun rays that had washed over the city and flooded the lively landscape with a golden warmth had long been replaced by the shadows that crept up the sides of the buildings as darkness began to fall.

Nonetheless, I felt almost elated as I hurried along the street, taking a turn into an alleyway and clutching the bag in my hand a little tighter as I fought the urge to wrap my arms around myself in the cold night air.

The dress was perfect, and I was barely able to contain the excitement that bubbled up inside me at the thought of showing it to Seonghwa when I got home.

"Maybe I should wait until the gala to show him," I mumbled to myself, absentmindedly taking another turn as I slowed down a little, "Then I could surprise him instead- Ah, no," I said, shaking my head, "They have a plan to follow but still-"

I sighed at the thought of the party, of how over-the-top it would no doubt be considering the status of the people who would be attending, the members of the organizations being some of the richest people in the country.

I came to a halt, furrowing my brows, "They're criminals, Nari," I reminded myself, sighing a little before continuing down the street, "That doesn't mean I can't have fun, though," I mumbled, a weak attempt at cheering myself up, "With a little bit of champagne I might be able to-"