twelve.

+ key +

I stood on the street, leaning against a wall with my hands planted behind my back as I let out a small sigh through my mouth. My suitcase sat on the ground next to me, people moving past me on the sidewalk as I waited patiently. I had been dropped off at Tom's apartment again, but this time I had walked through the city to Gilbert's boarding house, where I was meant to meet him. The only problem was that I had been waiting for almost 30 minutes now and Gilbert was still no where to be seen. I glanced down at my watch quickly, the hands having barely moved since the last time I checked it a whole 3 minutes ago.

I glanced both ways up and down the street, carriages rolling past me as they pulled people around the city. My foot tapped against the ground rhythmically, trying to determine how long I would be standing here before Gilbert showed up. Maybe to sunset at this rate. "Kate" someone shouted, making me look to see Gilbert trying to dart around the other people walking down the sidewalk. "I'm here, I'm here" Gilbert shouted as he came running down the street, a few books held under his arm as he took in sharp breaths. He stopped in front of me, his hair a mess from the wind as he buckled over slightly, trying to catch his breath as I watched him silently.

"Sorry, I'm late" he said as I let out a small laugh, pushing myself off of the wall as Gilbert straightened up, his cheeks flushed with colour. "Class ran over" he explained, coughing slightly as he shook his head, people having to move around him to make their way down the sidewalk, Gilbert sighing as he raised his eyebrows at me. "It's alright, calm down" I told him, the brown haired boy shifting the books in his arms as he took a few deep breaths through his nose, letting them escape past his lips. "Did you run all the way here?" I asked him, making him nod his head in reply as I let out a small laugh at him. 

"How long have you been waiting?" he asked me, pointing my finger at me as I shrugged my shoulder quickly, a playful smile dancing on my lips. "10 minutes or so" I lied with a quick shrug of my shoulders, making Gilbert nod his head as he let out a final sigh, moving the books that were wedged under his arm into his hands. "Sorry" Gilbert apologised quickly, his tone sounding so genuinely apologise that he had made me wait that long, making a small smile rest on my face.

"It's just nice to see you again, Doctor" I said, placing my hand in between us formally as we smiled at each other, Gilbert looking down at my hand. He let out a small chuckle, extending his hand as he shook mines slowly, looking back up at me with a smirk on his face. "You too, Katie" he replied, my grip on his hand tightening as I pulled him closer to me, leaving us standing close, a few inches left in between us. "I've actually been waiting for much longer than I said" I said to him, my voice quiet as Gilbert let out a small laugh, shaking his head as he kissed me, his lips spreading warmth from my stomach through my whole chest.

I kissed him back for a moment, being distracted by his hypnotic touch that I forgot that we were standing on the street outside of Gilbert's boarding house. I went to pull away, being beaten to it as Gilbert pulled back, clearing his throat as he raised an eyebrow at me. "That's enough of that or you'll take my breath away again, I barely got it back" he said to me, a lump in his throat as he cleared it away, making me laugh as I nodded my head at him. I bent down, picking up my suitcase as I held it down by my side, holding my other hand flat out in front of the brown haired boy. He stared down at my hand, not understanding why I was holding it like that, Gilbert raising his eyebrows at me quizzically.

"What?" he asked me, making me drop my hand with a small sigh as I held my bag in front of me, hitting it against my knees as I wrapped both hands around the handle. "Key, so we can start climbing the stairs" I explained as Gilbert nodded his head, leaning to the side as he dug his hand around in his pocket. He pulled out a single brass key, holding it out to me as I took it from him with a smile, the pair of us making out way up the stairs to the door, my hand moving the key into the hole as I unlocked the door.

——

A/N: so I know that everyone had been having Gilbert Blythe withdrawals for the past few chapters so the next few will be nothing but gilbert do not fret
I hope you all had a lovely holiday season, it's been hectic on my end that's for sure and I am just looking forward to getting out of 2020 (i'm hoping 2021 will be miles better than this dreadful year)
please do not forget to vote and comment and i will see you soon

A/N: so I know that everyone had been having Gilbert Blythe withdrawals for the past few chapters so the next few will be nothing but gilbert do not fret I hope you all had a lovely holiday season, it's been hectic on my end that's for sure and I ...