six.

I sat in the carriage, the plush cushioned bench under my layers of skirt hopping up and down with each bump that the carriage hit. We moved through the trees that lined the large road that led to the manor, the fresh green leaves rustling as the wind ripped through them. A small smile rested on my face as the sound of the wheels crunching on the stones filled the air, the sweet smell of the fresh air drifting through the window as it met my nose. The horses pulling the carriage slowed slightly, the clicking sound of their hooves moving from the trees down the driveway of the manor.

As the carriage winded down the slight curve of the gravel path the large white house came into view. The front of the white stone house was uniformly covered in windows, the curtains through the clean glass visible as I let out a small sigh through my mouth. The manor was surrounded by perfectly trimmed green grass, the tall trees marking where our open land stopped and the forrest begun. I could see my mother and father waiting on the stairs, standing between the two large white pillars together, watching my carriage pull down the drive.

We drew to a stop, the driver hopping from his position as he pulled open the door, letting me out to meet my parents. I let out a sigh as I unclasped my hands, standing up as I bowed my head, ducking through the door as I stepped out onto the gravel. The sun was beaming down on my in my cream dress, my large skirt being frankly too heavy on my hips and my corset being pulled a little too tight. I smiled at my parents as I walked forward to them, smiles on both of their faces at the sight of me.

"Oh it is lovely to see you again" my mother said as she wasted no time running down the stairs, pulling me into her tight grasp. I let out a small laugh as she squeezed my shoulders tightly, kissing the top of my head as I let out a small sigh, the sweetness of her perfume engulfing me. "You too, mother" I said to her as she held me as arms length, shaking her head at me with a small smile. "You need to come home more, we miss having you here" she told me, using her hand to tuck a piece of my hair that had fallen from its pin behind my ear, her touch gentle against my cheek.

"It's just such a long journey to make every weekend" I told her as she held my hand, rubbing her other palm over the back of my hand tenderly. She didn't reply, her eyebrows raised slightly in a look I knew all to well, and more importantly knew not to oppose. "I will try to" I adjusted, making her smile as she patted my hand, my father moving down to the pair of us, standing beside my mother with his hands clasped behind his back. "Father" I said with a nod of my head, opening one of my arms as my mother let go of my arm.

He wrapped one of his arms around my shoulders, kissing my forehead quickly as he smiled down at me. "How are you, dear?" he asked, his freshly shaven face lit up with his smile, my shoulders hugging in a reply. "Perfectly well, just a bit tired" I replied, the sound of the door falling shut behind my parents drawing our attention towards it. "You look it"  Tom said, his hands pushed into his pockets lazily and the sleeves of his white t-shirt in cuffed and a wide smile on his face.

"Hello, Tom" I said as he jumped down the three stairs onto the stones, sauntering over as he waved his hand at me briefly. "Long time no see" he said as I gave him a quick hug, clapping his back with my hand as I suppressed a smile. I could tell he had purposely said that, probably trying to make me trip up in front of our parents about my trip to the city last weekend. "Yup" I replied bluntly as I pulled away, Tom holding me by his side with his arm over my shoulders, his smile growing on his face as he looked down at me with his eyebrows raised.

"Nice of you to come home for my birthday" he said to me as I raised my eyebrows at him, tilting my head to the side. "Oh it's your birthday? I hadn't heard" I asked sarcastically as he laughed blandly a few times, nodding his head towards my trunk that the carriage driver had unloaded. "I hope my gift is in that, it's the size of a small island" Tom said as I shook my head, watching my father slip a coin into the drivers hand before he climbed back onto the carriage.

"No gifts, just way too many hoop skirts for a single girl to own" I said with a fake cheer in my voice as my father walked back over to us, clapping his hands as he drew all of our attention. "How about some late lunch?" he asked us as Tom clicked his fingers, nodding his head as his blonde hair bobbed with the movement. "Sounds lovely, father" he replied as he kicked the stones a little bit with the heel of his shoe. "Let's go then" my father replied as he offered mother his arm, which she took, the pair of them walking away as Tom finally let go of my shoulder.

"Long time no see, really?" I asked him in a hushed whisper, turning toward him as I raised my eyebrows, Tom smirking in reply. "What do you mean I haven't seen you in weeks" he said, a fake curious look on his face as I pressed my lips together, pointing my finger at him. "Exactly" I said as I walked around him, lifting up the bottom of my skirt as I walked up the stairs, turning to look at Tom as I made it to the top. "Grab my trunk will you?" I asked him, moving into the house before he could object, leaving him outside with my mahogany case.

——

A/N: this chapter is a little shorter then the rest of them but I didn't want the family reunion to feel too long so I hope you don't mind!
i'm super excited to be writing more Tom because he wasn't really in a majority of book 1, and honestly he's one of my favourite characters to write
please do not forget to vote and comment and I will see you all again soon

A/N: this chapter is a little shorter then the rest of them but I didn't want the family reunion to feel too long so I hope you don't mind! i'm super excited to be writing more Tom because he wasn't really in a majority of book 1, and honestly he'...