fourteen.

+ croissant +

We strolled down the street, the paper bag in my hand scrunching as I munched on the crossing that was half sticking out from the bag. Gilbert and I walked down the middle of the street, the street lamps lighting up the road in their dull glow as the wax slowly melted within them. It was quiet except from our foot steps, the late morning leaving no one on the streets except from the stray drunk straggler stumbling to try and make their way back home. Gilbert let out a small hum as he walked along behind me slightly, enjoying his pastry as he moved smoothly down the street, dancing almost at how good his croissant is.

"He's not going to have a bakers dozen tomorrow morning" I told him, turning to look at him as I pushed my free hand into my pocket to pull out a handkerchief. I had on a pair of Gilbert's slacks, being held up by a pair of suspenders which sat over my shoulders, the white shirt I was wearing pushed into the pants. There was no chance I was going to squeeze back into my corset, being set on wearing a pair of pants again for the first time in a while. "Just two less than a normal dozen" Gilbert told me as I wiped my mouth clean from any crumbs, looking down at my pastry as it fell back into the paper bag. I tucked the white cloth back into my pocket, Gilbert taking long strides to catch up with me as he turned around, walking backwards in front of me as I smiled at him.

"We should have bought all 13 then" I countered, smiling at him as I pulled the rest of the pastry from the bag, scrunching it in my hand as I popped the rest in my mouth. "And then done what with them?" he asked with a laugh, taking a bite of his own as I shrugged my shoulders, chewing slowly. "Eat them" I replied simply, Gilbert smirking at me as his jaw clenched with each movement it made. "That's a lot of croissants" Gilbert said as I pointed my finger at him, the scrunched up paper bag tucked into my palm as the smile on my face grew. "It's the best bakery in the city though" I sung, Gilbert laughing as he turned around, walking ahead of me as he pushed the rest of his croissant into his mouth swiftly. 

"You should try the custard pastries" I told him, Gilbert slowing down a little bit to stand next to me, smiling over with a mouthful as he chewed slowly. "How did you know it was there?" he asked, holding his rubbish in one hand as he put his other arm over my shoulder, pulling me into him as we made our way down the bricked road. He kissed the top of my head, my hair falling down my back, blowing in the breeze every time it gusted past us. "My father brought home a box of pastries after every trip he took to the city" I explained, pushing the paper bag into my pocket to free up both of my hands. "I didn't think they'd be open so late" I said, stumbling along next to Gilbert as I interlaced my fingers with his hand that was over my shoulder, kissing the back of his hand quickly.

"They weren't open" Gilbert contested, his eyes wide as I rolled mines quickly, tilting my head to the side and leaning it against his arm. "You knocked on the door until the baker answered it for you" Gilbert said to me as I laughed lightly, looking over at him as I shrugged my shoulder quickly in reply. "He was in the back" I said, my tone like a child who was attempted to weasel their way out of being disciplined. I had dragged Gilbert to the bakery, seeing that the light to the kitchen were on, the baker preparing for the morning sale. I had knocked on the windows until he decided to finally let us in, allowing me to sweet talk him while Gilbert stood back with a kind smile on his face. Luckily he had already made tomorrow mornings pastries so we managed to buy a couple and it seemed like a very successful mission for it being almost 2 in the morning.

"I paid him extra as well, he didn't mind" I justified, shaking my head as Gilbert laughed, tilting his head on top of mines, resting his chin on my crown. We walked in silence for a moment, the candle light in the lamps flickering as I watched the flames dancing in the stillness of the night. "The city is lovely when it's quiet" I said to Gilbert, lifting my head as he smiled at me, nodding his head and leaning closer a tiny bit. "Then it should stay that way" he whispered in my ear, his warm breath falling against my skin as he pushed his nose into the side of my face, kissing my cheek softly before pulling away as a smile rested on my face.

I pushed Gilbert away from me softly, laughing as I ducked from under his arm, walking behind him slowly as he kept walking ahead. A grin grew on my face as I placed my hands on his shoulders, flipping my hair over my shoulder as I exhaled. I leaped up onto Gilbert's back, making him let out a small groan as he caught my legs around his waist before I could fall to the ground, my arms clutching around his neck. "Onwards" I said to him, pointing forward as I clung into his chest with my other hand, Gilbert shifting me on his back as he held me by my thighs steadily. "Onwards to where?" Gilbert asked through a loud laugh, looking to the side to try and see me, making me laugh as I set my chin on his shoulder, fighting the laugh that was stuck in my throat. "Surprise me" I whispered in his ear before pressing my lips against his jaw quickly, pressing the side of my face into his as my cheeks started to hurt from having smiled so much today.

——

A/N: more Gilbert and Kate fluff for you all to hold you all over lmao
I genuinely adore writing chapters with them being all coupley it's one of my absolute favourite things to write!
please do not forget to vote and comment and I will see you again soon

A/N: more Gilbert and Kate fluff for you all to hold you all over lmao I genuinely adore writing chapters with them being all coupley it's one of my absolute favourite things to write! please do not forget to vote and comment and I will see you ag...