nine.

+ powder +

I sat on the stool that was pulled out from my vanity, my back forced to be straight thanks to the corset I was in, my silk robe pulled around me as I stared at my reflection. Lucy, my lady's maid stood behind me, her auburn hair twisted up in an updo and he hand holding my hair brush as she raked it through my hair slowly, a concentrated look on her face. Lucy wasn't that much older than I was, she was a few years older than Tom and has been working for our family for a little while now. She was one of two people in the house that actually knew about Gilbert and I sneakily seeing each other on the weekends, the other being Tom.

"Why did she pick this dress out?" I asked her, looking at the dress that was on the floor, being prepared for me to step into it. "She never said why, just that you should've wear it" Lucy replied with a smirk on her face, making me let out a sigh as I stared at the heap of blue velvet on the floor. My mother had requested that I should wear it for dinner, why I had no idea, but it wasn't one of the most comfortable dresses I owned, the laced neckline always itching my collar bones. "Your hair is a little wet at the ends" Lucy told me as she held it u food me to see, setting the brush back down onto the table as I nodded my head.

"That's alright, I thought taking a bath would have cut it a bit close anyway" I told her with a shrug of my shoulders, looking at my reflection in the mirror. The top of my hair was pinned back in a braid, pearl clips scattered about to give it a much more eloquent look, the rest of my hair falling down my back, a hairstyle that was only allowed for a lady to wear in the comfort of her own home. "See when you give me that horrible glass of wine?" I asked her, turning to look at her and she smiled with raised eyebrows nodding her head at me.

"Can we swap out the wine for something that's not as horrible?" I asked her as she laughed, shaking her head as she motioned at me with her hand to stand up. "I can try to" she told me as I stood up with a heavy sigh, untying the rope from around my corset. I slipped the robe I was wearing off of my arms as I threw it onto the bed, my corset being black tonight to make sure it wasn't visible through my dress. Lucy stood behind me as I walked over to my dress that lay on the carpet, knowing that as soon as I put it on i would have to go to the dinner that would be way too long than it should be. My feet sunk into the carpet as I let out a sigh, holding my hair in my hands to make sure it wouldn't get caught in the zip or clasps.

"Why are there bruises on your shoulder?" she asked me as I stepped into the dress on the floor, Lucy pulling it up as I slipped my arms into the sleeved. "Because Tom shoved me off of Cash today on the polo field" I explained to her, letting her zip up the back as I let out a loud sigh, making her laugh at me lightly. "He managed to convince you to play then?" she asked me as she clasped them top of the dress, my hands sitting on my stomach as she made sure it was sitting right on me.

"Convince? I was very much forced, Lucy" I told her as she moved around the front, pulling at the flowing sleeves that hung off of my shoulders ever so slightly, the velvet material clinging to my corset. "Well you need to take a bath tonight to let your joints rest" Lucy told me as I let out a small laugh, nodding my head as she grabbed the small powder tin from my vanity again. She lifted up the brush, patting it lightly on each of my cheeks as I closed my eyes to let her finish. "I'll need a week of rest at this rate" I sighed as Lucy laughed at my displeasure, making me smirk lightly at the fact as I managed to make her laugh.

"Every time I play with him he pushed me off of my horse, I should know better" I told her as she laughed, shaking her head as she looked down at the watch on her wrist briefly. "Oh I was meant to tell you that there's tonight" Lucy told me, my eyebrows darting up on my forehead as I stared back at her, no one having told me that before. "Who?" I asked her, having absolutely no idea that we would be entertaining guests. "Your fathers friends" she told me as I let out a small scoff, my hands resting down by my side as I traced circles in the soft velvet material against my leg.

"It sounds like him to invite his own friends to Tom's birthday dinner" I retorted to Lucy as she let out a small laugh and a nod of her head at my joke, which was almost not a joke at all. "Well, he could invite a chimpanzee and you'd still find it boring" she said to me with a smile as I opened my eyes again, the brush dusting over my forehead as it tickled my skin. "Why must any dinner be 5 courses?" I said with a heavy sigh, rather being so many other places then sitting around the table with my parents, the only sound being the scraping of cutlery on the plates.

"I'm late for drink service" she said as I held out my hands, letting her put the powder and brush into them as I nodded my head at her. "You go down, I'll finish off my makeup" I told her as she nodded her head, turning and basically running to the door, ripping it off of the hinges in attempt to get downstairs before my parents did to serve them their typical drinks. I let out a loud sigh, turning back to the vanity as I sat down again, balancing the brush on my fingers ad I swept the powder up my cheeks gently.

——

A/N: okay so this is a little boring filler chapter but the next chapter is going to be absolutely amazing so please just wait for that lmao
i'm trying to limit the amount of new characters in adding into this book but Lucy seemed like a nice little addition. I was really trying hard in this chapter to not make Kate seem like a snob with a maid so please remember that she's not and her and Lucy have more of a friendship than a i'm your employer and you're my servant kind of vibe lmao
please do not forget to vote and comment and I will see you soon

 I was really trying hard in this chapter to not make Kate seem like a snob with a maid so please remember that she's not and her and Lucy have more of a friendship than a i'm your employer and you're my servant kind of vibe lmao please do not for...